Dashlane to 1Password import issue

Options
camilleroux
camilleroux
Community Member
edited February 2019 in Mac

Hi,

I want to quit Dashlane and use 1password, but I can't import the Dashlane export (either on Mac OS app and online).
Online, 0 passwords out of 421 are imported. It can save fex notes if I let them in the file. Here is the message I get:

Error: No importable items were found in the selected file.

Session: RW5J635BP5AZHGVDNMZ4PRM6NU

Time: 2019-02-03 18:49:50 +01:00

On the mac app, I get the following message:

Lancer l’importation
Collecte des éléments à importer
Impossible de lire les éléments du fichier. Vérifier le format d'importation.
Terminé

(The weird characters are not a copy-paste bug)

I tried to contact 1password some days ago by email and I still get no answer :(

Someone can help me?

1Password Version: Mac 7.2.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14.2 (18C54)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hi @camilleroux ,

See my reply here. This should help you move forward.

FYI: the "wierd characters" in the error message above is called Mojibake. 1Password for Mac is not properly handling the encoding of the error message strings.

• camilleroux
    camilleroux
    Community Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

Ok, that's fine!
    I should modify the format with Numbers, export it, change ';' by ',', then remove quotes, then fix passwords I broke, then import it on web app (because import doesn't work on the mac app and the error message was not precise)
    @MrC Could you reset my trial, to finally try 1password with passwords imported? Thanks

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2019
    Options

@camilleroux ,

I would re-export from Dashlane.

Open the export with Numbers, and ensure your Dashlane items have not split across rows. If any has, join the rows correctly, placing data in the correct columns.

Then, use the csv converter in the converter suite . Just follow the directions. You'll be able to import via the Mac app.

Numbers can export as a standard CSV file. Do that, adding labels, as per the directions for the CSV converter.

I don't work for Agilebits so have no ability to restore trials.

• camilleroux
    camilleroux
    Community Member
    Options

ok! Why shoud I restart? Is it better to import via the Mac app?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@camilleroux ,

I sounds like you made a lot of changes to your CSV, to manually try to get things to work. You don't have to restart, but just be sure you have proper CSV formatting.

The 1PIF that will be generated by the csv converter will import into 1Password on the Mac (or Windows) reliably. 1PIF is a more robust format than CSV.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2019
    Options

@camilleroux ,

Your posting here prompted me to review yet again the Dashlane exports with the latest versions. I updated the post I linked above with a small edit:

Edit 2019-02-03: I've looked at the Dashlane exports yet again. The XLS export is useless. The CSV export is still broken. And the JSON export is a butchered, incomplete mess.

CSV is the best route to go, since it is the least broken, and is the most useful export Dashlane offers. It is clear that exports are very lower priority for them.

• camilleroux
    camilleroux
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, I did that.

FYI here the formulas I used in Numbers: (sorry, the formula are in French ;( )

-A> Dashlane Export::A1
    -B> Dashlane Export::B1
    -C> SI(ESTVIDE(Dashlane Export::C1);Dashlane Export::D1;Dashlane Export::C1)
    -D> Dashlane Export::F1
    -E> SI(ESTVIDE(Dashlane Export::C1);"";Dashlane Export::D1)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@camilleroux ,

I’m sorry, I don’t understand. There should be no formulas. The export would be simple text values. Do you need an example?

• camilleroux
    camilleroux
    Community Member
    Options

You're right. It was to have them in the good order for the web import. Nevermind.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.