A number of my 2FA codes are not working after moving to a new timezone

Options
jstarry
jstarry
Community Member

Hello there!

Long time user of 1Password here and I started using 2FA codes in 1Password a few months ago. After moving to Japan a few weeks ago I have been noticing that some of my 2FA codes have not been working properly (might be a red herring). Sometimes I enter the same code a few times to make it work, other times no matter what I do I can't get a code to work and have to fall back to backup codes.

Any tips on how to get this working again or troubleshoot? My system settings for Date and Time are all set to automatic. I have also tried using 2FA codes from my other device (Android) with some success.

Affected sites:

• Gitlab (both Android and OSX don't work)
  • Discord (OSX doesn't work but Android codes do)
  • AWS (was not working but reset it recently and is ok now)

Side Note:

• Not totally sure how TOTP works but should the Android app and OSX app be giving the same codes? Mine are not the same across devices

Appreciate any help here, thanks!

• Justin

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14.2
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:A number of my 2FA codes are not working after moving to a new timezone

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@jstarry

Make sure your system's clock and time zone is correct. Preferences > Date & Time. Typically these are set to do automatic date/time corrections, and time zone corrections.

• jstarry
    jstarry
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC yeah I checked that as I mentioned in my post, pretty odd eh?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@jstarry

If the time is incorrect on the server where your time is coming from, or the time protocol requests are being blocked, your clock can be off. So its important to actually check that the clock is pretty accurate. TOTP codes are changed based on actual time. Some drift can be tolerated (I don't know how much is standard or acceptable in practice).

• jstarry
    jstarry
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC

Great call, my clock was indeed a few minutes ahead. I changed to my Date & Time to use the Apple Asia server and did a restart and all is good now. Your help is much appreciated!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jstarry - glad to hear @MrC was able to point you in the right direction. These TOTP problems are almost always a result of mismatched clock settings, usually (but not always) on the user's end. Glad you got it sorted! :)

This discussion has been closed.