The NOTES from mSecure imported items are not visible unless I go into EDIT.

Options
JMirk
JMirk
Community Member

It looks to me like column 5 in a csv file is for 1Password notes, so that is where I put my mSecure notes. Everything else imports just fine and is visible. the notes only appear when I go into EDIT.

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: Chrome 4.7.3.90, Safari 7.2.5
OS Version: OS X Mojave 10.14.3
Sync Type: CSV from mSecure v3

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2019
    Options

@JMirk

That's correct for Login items.

mSecure uses the hex character 0x0b to separate lines in an item's notes. You may need to replace these with newline characters.

Make sure your cell data is correctly CSV-quoted (hopefully you are saving via a spreadsheet program, as CSV).

You could instead just use the msecure converter in the converter suite. It will handle your mSecure raw export. Just follow the README instructions if you can't get your CSV import to work.

• JMirk
    JMirk
    Community Member
    Options

1Password won't import pm_export.txt. TXT files are grayed out. When I originally tried to import the mSecure csv 1Password said it couldn't read it. I tried to open the mSecure converter in your converter suite, but it doesn't open into anything that I can use, just lines of info. How do I open it as an app?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@JMirk,

1Password does not import mSecure export files, so you have two choices: 1) massage their export file into a CSV file, one category per file, as per the CSV formatting instructions, or 2) you can use the converter suite to convert their export file.

The export file you are creating, pm_export.txt, for usage with the msecure converter in the converter suite would not importable by 1password directly. This file is just an mSecure export that you run the converter against to create a 1PIF file which is importable by 1Password.

You don't need to open the Msecure.pm converter code to use it. To convert, just follow the README directions - open the README.html file in your browser and it will walk you through the process.

• JMirk
    JMirk
    Community Member
    Options

The converthelper app gives me the following error message: "Cant get window 1 of application "Terminal". Terminal got an error: Can't get window 1, invalid index. (-1719)

• JMirk
    JMirk
    Community Member
    Options

this may be more complicated than I can handle.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@JMirk,

Please see this reply.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

If you would like remote help, I’m happy to do so securely.

• JMirk
    JMirk
    Community Member
    Options

Wow, that would be great! Does sometime tomorrow work for you? I'm in L.A. (Pacific Daylight Time), and am available all day except from 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @JMirk,

Let's do tomorrow around 3pm (I'm in Silicon Valley). My email address is at the top of the convert.pl script. You can send me an email, and I'll give you instructions on how we can work together securely and confidentially.

• JMirk
    JMirk
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much, 3:00 it is. and thank you for your amazingly prompt responses! How refreshing!!!!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2019
    Options

Just a quick follow-up here, for future reference.

@JMirk got his mSecure export converted using a custom converter I created to accommodate his specific customization.

We hit a few potholes until I removed my blinders (and dunce cap), and finally noticed via some cursory debug output that the mSecure exported file had been modified and wasn't a raw, native mSecure export after all! Doh.

I've also confirmed that the issue originally mentioned above (Notes not visible until Edit mode is activated) is due to the 0x0b character encodings used by mSecure. See my first reply above, and the animated image below.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MrC - thanks as always for your amazing assistance to users coming to 1Password from other password management solutions, and for following through on this. Looks like you were right (as usual) about 0x0b. 👍

• MrHappyCondo
    MrHappyCondo
    Community Member
    Options

I've been using mSecure for many years and over 800 entries in mSecure. I'm interested in switching to 1Password, but the only issue stopping me right now is: Can @MrC or any knowledgeable person a 1Password help me EASILY move ALL my data from mSecure to 1Password? thanks in advance for you help!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@MrHappyCondo ,

Happy to help. What do you need?

First step is to start at the converter suite thread and follow the directions.

• MrHappyCondo
    MrHappyCondo
    Community Member
    Options

ok, I'll look at the convert suite. thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.