1password account seems a backward step?

Options
nigelrumsey
nigelrumsey
Community Member

Hi, I've been a happy 1password user for several years, however, since changing to a 1password account - I think that's what you call it - the user experience isn't as good as before.

• You need to better differentiate between the two types of account.
  • The app in the menu bar is constantly telling me to install the chrome app, although I already have it.
  • There seem to be two chrome apps, although I'm not sure which I should be using?

• I sign in to chrome app I then need to sign in to the Mac app again.

Your help would be appreciated. I really just need this to work, I don't have time to keep uninstalling and reinstalling apps.

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90 & 1.15.3
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: ??

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @nigelrumsey! Thanks for taking the time to drop by and share your observations with us. :)

You need to better differentiate between the two types of account.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Can you clarify? Did you mean differentiate between 1Password Families and Individual accounts? 1Password Business? Something else?

The app in the menu bar is constantly telling me to install the chrome app, although I already have it.

Again, not sure what you might be referring to by "Chrome app," but it sounds as if you may be using 1Password X instead of the standard ("desktop app required") extension for Chrome, and then trying to use the main app to fill into Chrome. Because 1Password X works entirely by itself without needing to communicate with the desktop app, if you have 1Password for Mac installed and 1Password X in Chrome, and you try to use keyboard shortcuts to fill, or you double-click items in 1Password for Mac to launch them in Chrome, you will see this prompt. It's not an error, that's functioning as designed. There are a couple of ways around this:

1. You can uninstall 1Password X and install the “desktop app required” extension. Then, when you use keyboard shortcuts or Go & Fill from within 1Password for Mac, it will function as designed and not give you that warning.
    2. You can stop trying to use 1Password for Mac to fill into a browser (Chrome) that doesn't have the correct extension installed to communicate with the local app.
    3. You can update to the beta versions of both 1Password X in Chrome and 1Password 7 for Mac, and try out Desktop App Integration, which is a beta feature that allows 1Password X to communicate with the local 1Password for Mac app.

Both of the rest of your comments also concern the issues between the two extensions ("desktop app required") and 1Password X. You'll want to choose which of those you want to run, and remove the other one. Let us know if you have any questions.

• nigelrumsey
    nigelrumsey
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, thank you for your response.

After further reading, I understand where I became confused. I switched to a 1password account from previously using the app from the App store. At the same time, I must have downloaded 1passwordX and assumed the change in functionality was related to the 1password account.

Maybe I didn't read sufficiently, but maybe if you install 1passwordX it could advise you that you don't also need the Mac app?

Anyway, I like the functionality of the Mac app so I've uninstalled 1passwordX downloaded the 1password 7 chrome plugin and equilibrium is returned!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nigelrumsey - glad to hear you've got it sorted out! :) 1Password X is a great way to use 1Password with a 1password.com account, without having to install a 1Password native app. So, it works even on systems where we don't have a native app, like Chromebooks or Linux or even Solaris workstations. We're also in the process of something called Desktop App Integration which is exactly what it sounds like: the 1Password X extension will be able to communicate not just directly with the 1password.com server, but also with the 1Password for Mac local app. The feature is still in beta right now, but it's a look at where things are headed for the future. In the meantime, you're welcome to continue using the regular ("desktop app required") version of our 1Password extension. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.