Safari Technology Preview 1P Extension Problem

HFTobeason
HFTobeason
Community Member

Clicking the 1P extension icon in Safari Technology Preview instantly opens Safari and the 1P extension in Safari.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.4.BETA-0 (70400000) 1Passwor
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.1 (19B88)
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• HFTobeason
    HFTobeason
    Community Member

Never mind - turns out I had to change System Preferences > General > Default web browser to STP.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @HFTobeason! :+1: I am glad to hear that you managed to get things sorted out :)

• macula
    macula
    Community Member

I stand (partly) corrected: I was declaring STP as default browser within the Preferences pane of the browser itself, not the system-wide System Preferences > General. I think it would make sense to alert the user about this distinction. Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update as well! :+1:

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member
    edited December 2019

Is there anyway that I can use the 1P Extension within each of Safari and Safari Technical Preview simultaneously? I often switch between using both browsers, often I have them running at the same time in my browser testing and having to set this setting every time I want to be able to use it in one, or the other is a royal pain. The times that I do forget to switch it I have to deal with Safari [proper] launching along with all of my browser tabs that I have opened.
    This didn't happen with the old style plug-in with 1Password 6. It was able to use the extension quite well and independently of each other, just as I use it in Safari vs FireFox. I'm still not a fond lover of the 1Password 7 mini/extension.

• @skippingrock,

The only way to use it in both is going to be to switch the default browser setting in System Preferences -> General when switching between the two, unfortunately.

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member

yes, that is what I have to do, but as I mentioned, a bit of a pain, especially when the default one is quit and relaunches.

• adamwulf
    adamwulf
    Community Member

The only way to use it in both is going to be to switch the default browser setting in System Preferences -> General when switching between the two, unfortunately.

Is there any plan to properly support having the extension work in both browsers? I also have both Safari and STP running at the same time, and it'd be great if the extension worked as expected.

• @adamwulf,

Any plan would involve Apple making changes to their Safari App Extension API to support this, so at this juncture that request rests solely in Apple's hands. We have filed feedback with them regarding the API.

• adamwulf
    adamwulf
    Community Member

@rudy thanks for the reply - that makes sense. Hopefully Apple gets in gear for you folks.

What about the menubar app? That seems to auto-switch to Safari as wells even with Safari Tech Preview is open. Would that be a different case since it's the menubar and not the extension that's opening, couldn't it leave the active window alone in that case?

• @adamwulf,

There isn't a separate application for the menubar, the menubar, main window and extension interactions are all with a single GUI application now. If you have the default browser on your system set to Safari then no amount of Safari Tech Preview being in the foreground will remedy that.

• adamwulf
    adamwulf
    Community Member

In comparison, I have Evernote installed, which has a dock icon, menubar icon, and safari extension. I have that extension installed into both Safari and STP. Whenever I activate it's extension, it does not switch to Safari but stays in STP. So it at least their case they're able to somehow not force-open Safari when activating their extension. Is 1Passwode code asking MacOS to switch to the browser somewhere, and the only option is asking the default browser? I'd much prefer simply not asking at all, or only asking when i click "Open and Fill," but not on every click.

Thanks

• adamwulf
    adamwulf
    Community Member

@rudy see above: any ideas how Evernote gets around it and if 1pw might use their same strategy?

• @adamwulf,

Unfortunately, after looking at evernote's extension it doesn't seem like they operate in the same manner that 1Password's extension does. There are a couple ideas I have to improve our experience, but ultimately we have a lot more back and forth between the main app <-> extension helper <-> safari app extension <-> javascript injected into the page that necessitates wrapping each interaction potentially with a call to SFSafariApplication dispatchMessageWithName:toExtensionWithIdentifier:completionHandler which only works with the Safari set as default browser, or only the system Safari if a non-Safari browser is set as the default browser. Each interaction is wrapped that way because Safari regularly terminates idle extensions, and that method is the only way to launch the extension again from 1Password.

This discussion has been closed.