my1Password - Why is it gone?

Options
HenryY
HenryY
Community Member

Hello,

I started using 1Password much after the my1Password service was already retired. I don't know much about it, but was just wondering what lead to the decision to retire it.

I see that there was a post about the issue at http://support.agilewebsolutions.com/showthread.php?12325-The-Future-of-the-my1Password-Web-Service but it seems to no longer be available to view.

Thanks.

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited April 2013
    Options

Hey Henry from what I remember,

1. Someone was always needing to be able to restart the server should it fail,
    2. General server duties, insuring all data with backups etc. time to maintain proper security and intrusion prevention, logging etc
    3. Insuring the data was always available,
    4. Server load from all the new testers, had to have to ability to scale up
    5. Lack of automatic syncing

In short it was way easier to build the service into an already setup syncing mechanism, hence the introduction of Dropbox and MobileMe

1. Servers always up / redundant servers
    2. Support staff always available.
    3. Security maintained by the service.
    4. Server are scaled to support numerous users
    5. Automatic syncing
  • HenryY
    HenryY
    Community Member
    Options

Did the service ever come out of beta?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I think T. Hightower's explanation is a very good one. The short answer is: running a sync service well is a lot of hard work. I don't know that it ever made it past the beta stage, but it was a number of years before I started working for AgileBits.

1PasswordAnywhere works via Dropbox (on the web) or any local backup (such as a USB flash drive), so we think it is a much more flexible solution. :)

• HenryY
    HenryY
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, I like 1PasswordAnywhere and agree that it's better. =)

I was just curious, that's all.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited April 2013
    Options

As far as I know no it never made it past the alpha/beta stage.

I was still waiting for my invite when it was closed. or maybe I had just gotten it I cant remember.

I seem to remember using the service or trying to set it up, as I had a password etc.

This discussion has been closed.