1Password 4 is missing features from 1Password 3

Options
MarcusFerreira
MarcusFerreira
Community Member
edited November 2013 in Mac

Hey guys,

I upgraded to 1Password 4 and I am having a bad time with a lack of functionalities that were part of my workflow.

Layouts

Where did View -> Layouts menu option go? Why is it missing?

I have a ton of passwords and accounts. On 1Password 3 I have used Layout -> Widescreen a lot, because I can see much more information in less screen space. Only one layout available on 1Password 4 is silly. It takes too much space. I have to navigate more to choose between passwords for a same site -- think of Amazon AWS and different accouts -- and you get the idea.

And frankly, it is almost childish these big fonts and icon names. Personally is kind of an invitation to anybody passing by my computer screen to see what accounts I have under 1Password.

Screen space and layouts on 1Password 3 were great for navigation. Please, give back these options.

Accounts: Amazon Web Services

On the subject of using 1Password with AWS....

What happend to 'Accounts' session and its different categories? Why is 'Amazon Web Services', 'FTP', 'Email' missing?

This is causing 2 main problems for me:

1. I can no longer save AWS credentials secretly on 1Password.

For new accounts or credentials, a simple 'Login' entry does not conceal the credentail pair I want to save. Indeed, I have to create two extra fields and name them 'Access' and 'Secret', and these values will not be concealed just like the 'password' field.

1. 1Password mini and Browser plugins are broken

My previous 'Amazon Web Services', under 'Accounts' section, that were migrated from 1Password 3 appear on 1Password mini and browser plugin menus just fine. But for each new one that I try to create, by copying and editing from a previous existing entry, DOES NOT appear anywhere on such menus. A major nuisance.

Auto-Lock and Unlocking

I have a very big master password, and that's okay. And I am very secure concious. I know when I have to lock my computer, or put it to sleep, or any other scenario.

Because of this, it's kind of disrespectful when you take away how I want to lock or unlock my main vault. Or if I want to save my master password on my Mac keychain or not.

The point is that I do not think is your place to decide how I will manage my workflow or that I have to type my master password ALL THE TIMES. I want to choose what to do or when to do it, regarding how many times I want -- or not -- type my master password again and again.

If I -- or some of my users -- have to type a big master password ALL THE TIMES, it will defeat the purpose of upgrading all my team members 1Password to release 4. Mainly because we will have to use a shorter master password, or we will not use 1Password 4 at all. Both scenarios not ideal in any way.

Please, put back the 'Unlocking' options of 1Passowrd 3 back and let me choose what I think is best for my workflow.

Best,

Marcus

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

Where did View -> Layouts menu option go? Why is it missing?

I'm using the beta version, and it re-introduced column view.

What happend to 'Accounts' session and its different categories? Why is 'Amazon Web Services', 'FTP', 'Email' missing?

I think they decided that one level of categories was enough, and removed most redundant sub-categories while changing some others to top-level categories.

I'm also an AWS user, but I don't expect them to re-introduce the AWS category. What they are doing is giving the user more possibilites to customize the items. You can create your own field names, for instance "Access" and "Secret" even if Agilebits doesn't provide these for you. As you have noted, you can only create text fields, and not password fields, but they have said this will change in the future. I believe you can already create custom password fields in the iOS version.

DOES NOT appear anywhere on such menus. A major nuisance.

I think all old "Accounts" items got the preference "Hide in browser" set as default, so not to confuse users migrating from version 3. But you can easily change this, simply edit an item and choose "Always" in the Show in browser" preference.

Also, if I use my old AWS login with the concealed Access and Secret fields to create a Duplicate (cmd + D), the browser display setting gets carried over. So make sure you have an AWS item with the Show in browser set to "Always", and use it as a template to create new AWS items until they make it possible to create custom password fields.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

I believe you can already create custom password fields in the iOS version.

From my understanding this is true.

I don't use the iOS to its fullest advantage. I am more a major desktop user and iOS just as a wallet of my items when I need them.

• blalor
    blalor
    Community Member
    Options

I definitely miss the clean way that Amazon Web Services keys were stored in 1P3.

• rberger
    rberger
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, this was a major use case. Should have at least made the old templates available for the new version.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi all,

Thanks so much for your feedback on Categories! We have heard from several users who are having trouble adjusting to the new organization of things, and we'll certainly take this into consideration when it is time to re-examine Categories. :)

• DS625
    DS625
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to see more options in Categories with applicable fields: many of us own automobiles (VIN, Radio anti-theft code, etc), insurance (company, policy #, agent), eyeglasses or contact prescriptions (for self and family members). I'm a new user coming over from Splash ID, and while I love that 1P4 actually works (as opposed to the latest version of Splash ID that crashes every time on opening), i'm a little disappointed in this regard, just having to wedge my data into the existing fields of 1P4.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi, @DS625.

It's already possible to add custom fields to an item to "wedge your data into". :)

That's been useful for me as a former SplashID user, along with pseudo-templates (in existing categories) like @MikeT posted about in the beta forum (slightly edited for emphasis/clarification):

Right now, we do not plan creating any more categories in the 1Password 4 because we rather the focus goes into creating the ability to create your own categories. That's something we'd like to do in the future.

>

If you create a lot of items in those [currently predefined] categories, you can create blank items with the list of custom fields/sections you want, and from those items, you can right-click on it in 1Password 4 to select Duplicate, and the duplicate will have the same list of custom fields/sections that you can quickly fill in.

>

That lets you have custom templates in a way, so you don't have to keep adding the same field/section all the time.

>

We'll see what we can do to improve the templates in 1Password 4 and find a way to get custom categories in the future of 1Password.

I hope that's helpful for you guys, too.

• DS625
    DS625
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks sjk,

OK, that'll work. I've added Tags to my "custom" templates, and created Smart Folders to filter based on those tags. Then, I've hidden the pre-defined Categories so things look the way I want. Thanks for your help!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're most welcome, @DS625.

Thanks for sharing those extra tips. They dovetail well with the suggestion for a "Generic" category I'd already filed in our tracker so I've included them there. :)

This discussion has been closed.