Custom categories [feature request under consideration]

Options
cammot
cammot
Community Member
edited April 2015 in Mac

I am migrating from SplashID, and really like the user interface of 1Password 4 and the sync capability across all devices. However, I am somewhat disappointed that one cannot create any new custom categories. I can't imagine that others using this excellent software don't run into this need or if there is a work around about way to create custom categories. Any thoughts or suggestions ? Thanks.

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I moved from SplashID also. 1Password currently does not allow the creation of custom categories like SplashID does, although the feature has been requested here often. The developers are aware of the wish, but I don't know what their plans are about implementing it. They have recently added the option to add custom fields in a record, but so far, not new categories.

When I came over, I ended up doing lots of manual recreation of my records because of my liberal use of custom categories and also customized entires within categories in SplashID. If you think about it, no automated translation program could be expected to anticipate every modification a user has made. When 1Password can't recognizer a record, it will deposit it in Secure Notes, from which you will need to decide what to do with it.

Migration for me was fairly involved because of this, and it has made me less interested in creating custom categories in 1Password. Suppose I want to move to something else in the future? Then I will want a mostly vanilla database so that whatever conversion utility is provided will actually be able to recognize my entries. So my attitude about this has changed.

• cammot
    cammot
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for comments. As I mentioned, I am really pleased with several aspects of 1Password when compared with SplashID. Installation on my iMac was a snap and everything worked right away, including my iPhone and iPad sync over iCloud. I only had to reboot both the devices, in order for them to synch and recognize the vault etc. The only frustration I feel with 1Password is the inability of creating a new or custom category.
    On reflection, everything worked well with SplashID, it seemed a very simplistic interface and easy for everything I needed. The differentiator for me was the iCloud sync with all my devices, i.e. Two iMacs, Two iPhones, Two iPads all sync in harmony beautifully with 1Password.

It might be a good idea if we start listing some categories that we need, so if they are reading this - they can simply implement it with a simple update. Here's the Categories we need:

Frequent Flyer Airlines, Cruises, Hotels.... Etc

Serial Numbers - For warranties etc

Facebook, Twitter Accounts

The list goes on... Hopefully other can add more categories to be added.

Thanks

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @cammot,

For frequent flier and other loyalty memberships, I put the data in Reward Programs. For serial numbers, I use Secure Notes. Facebook and Twitter account information goes into Logins with all the other login data.

Your suggestions seem like specific cases of the more general categories to my way of thinking. But I know from my own experience that not everyone will see it that way. And I have other quibbles with the 1Password organization like having information about email accounts in the Email category, but also in the Logins category because you can't log in from Email account records.

• cammot
    cammot
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks - that was helpful, suggesting that frequent flier number go into the Rewards Programs. Do you have a suggestion for magazine subscriptions ?. or that goes into the 'catch all' secure notes. The problem I have with Secure Notes is that it has become so inflated because there are so many categories into one, that it almost defeats the purpose or good organization !!! - this is where I prefer SplashID safe.

• moznmar
    moznmar
    Community Member
    Options

I'm new to 1Password, but saving frequent flyer info under Rewards doesn't seem to do it for me. Yes, it will provide a space to easily access my frequent flyer numbers, but it doesn't also allow me an easy way to log into the airline sites when I visit them. Only the Logins category appears to do that. Am I missing something? Any guidance you may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

There have been other discussions about ways in which to link related logins with items in other categories. At present the best way seems to have the separate items (e.g., the Rewards item and the related Login item) and to link them using a tag.

Stephen

• MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    Options

@moznmar, If you're a person that doesn't currently use tags in 1Password, or you just think it would a hardship to create tags for these kind of "relationships" another way to help is just to use a naming scheme that facilitates quick match ups. For example if your frequent flyer items consist of one for Delta (with or without Airlines in the item's title) and United (both just examples... not endorsements!) just name your Logins items Delta and United, and do the same for your Rewards Programs items using the same names to match. That way you can easily type in either airline name and the two related items show up in the main 1Password application.

Additionally, Rewards Programs items do show up in 1Password mini so searching for Delta there works the same way. And because you can anchor items from 1Password mini your Rewards Programs details are right there for you to use as many as you need in any form filling situations that needs them — without having to launch the 1Password application first.

• vlaine
    vlaine
    Community Member
    edited March 2014
    Options

It's the only reason why I switch back and forth between eWallet and 1Password. Folders are not enough for my needs. I need custom categories with custom icons.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @vlaine,

I moved your thread from the betas to the general 1Password 4 for Mac forum.

Custom categories are something we'd like to do in the future but I don't have a timeframe on when you might see this. It's not a trivial change but we've been making progress toward making this possible.

Custom fields/sections/icons are what we just added in 1Password 4 for Mac, so this makes it possible to modify your items to fit your data structure. It won't give you a custom category but there is a way to expand on this.

If there's something you're using all the time, what you can do is create a blank item that closely matches it (Logins or Passwords would work the best), add your list of custom sections/fields, and the custom icon before saving it. You can then right-click on this blank item to duplicate it, so that you can fill it in the way you want. You'd probably need to add a tag to collect them all as a single smart folder. This would let you create a pseudo-category of items.

• MikeT
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Merged/split.
  • dylan
    dylan
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also migrating from many years on SplashID. I'm only switching because their new cloudsync V7 upgrade has been a disaster for me - so much data just scrambled between my many devices. Loving 1Password except I can't understand why you can't generate your own categories. I know nothing about code, but it just seems so obvious - everyone has their own way of inputing data and how to organize it. I feel hampered using a small default selection like this, I much preferred SplashID's customizing in this area. Only complaint so far.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @dylan,

Welcome fellow migrator to 1Password from SplashID. :)

Loving 1Password

That's great to hear - thanks!

… except I can't understand why you can't generate your own categories.

Because it hasn't been implemented yet? :)

@Megan wrote:

You are not the first person to suggest this, and it is certainly on our radar. I can't say if/when it will be an option, but I'm happy to add your vote to the feature request!

And your interest in category creation has now been noted, too.

Including discussions about it in this topic there are several related others, e.g. here, here, here.

I hope the answers your question, and we're always here to help if you have any more!

• tbader
    tbader
    Community Member
    Options

Another vote for custom categories! :-)

At least, I would need much more categories than there are at the moment. For example, what I really miss is

• an (online) store category where you can enter customer number, login, billing details etc.
    • hardware device category for any device with model and serial number, location, type etc.
    • telephone provider category to manage any accounts

...and many more.

Thanks,
    Timo

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014
    Options

I've tallied your vote for custom categories, Timo @tbader. :)

Right now using "pseudo-templates" with custom fields/sections can be helpful.

• Julian_Wall
    Julian_Wall
    Community Member
    Options

I would also really like Custom Categories, I am in the process of moving from SplashID and though in general I much prefer 1Password I miss those custom Categories:-

A couple of examples of the sort of Categores I would like to create are:-
    FTP Login
    PC login

by the way what 1password calls categories splashid calls types (splashid categories I have managed to mimic using folders in 1password)

• Meek
    Options

Hi @Julian_Wall‌,

Thanks for letting us know that this is something you would like to see as well!

• iain_g
    iain_g
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to add a plea for this feature, am looking to switch from mSecure as I love the 1password interface and ease of autofilling, but custom categories are essential for me. I develop websites and need to be able to store not just 1 username/password for a job, but a cpanel login, an FTP login, an Msql, a CMS admin, a client CMS login and so on - to create my own category like this and reuse it each time is what I can currently do in Msecure, and until 1Password can match that feature I'll have to stay put.

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @iain_g,

Thanks for the feedback! I'll add your vote for this feature. :)

• jayemery
    jayemery
    Community Member
    Options

I have been using 1Password for many years and absolutely love it... except for the fact that I can't create my own Categories. I have been asking for this option every year since inception but never is included in the updates or versions. Every time I ask for this they always tell me "they are working on it." Is there any way to get this feature before I die?

• Jasper
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @jayemery,

Thanks for the feedback! I will let our developers know that you're interested in this feature. :)

• Geoff Fitch
    Geoff Fitch
    Community Member
    Options

Moving here from Wallet app (Acrylic). I love Wallet but realize they are out of business so it is time to move. Creating your own categories seems essential to me - this was a great feature of Wallet, as lets face it these categories exist in the real world. I hope you get this in soon! I guess I'll work with your suggestions for now.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the AgileBits/1Password family and forums, Geoff! :)

Your interest-vote for custom category creation has been recorded -- thanks!

• Tarit Tanjasiri
    Tarit Tanjasiri
    Community Member
    Options

I am also coming over from Msecure and spent over 30 minutes to try to create a category for my merchant ID and Vendor information for my business but seems like this is not yet a feature for 1password. I am a little disappointed to discover this after purchasing 1password. Please implement this feature very soon.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Tarit,

Your interest in custom categories has been noted. Thank you for the request!

I hope @MikeT's "pseudo-category" suggestion in post #3 is hopeful for you right now. :)

• rsailors
    rsailors
    Community Member
    Options

We have been using 1password for a very long time, because we cant create custom categories we may be forced to look at a new tool. This is a major issue for us right now as our company grows.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @rsailors,

I've made a note in our tracker about how important support for custom categories is to you. Thanks for letting us know. :)

ref: OPM-1643

• bruceldavies
    bruceldavies
    Community Member
    Options

Hi sjk,

Like cammot I'm considering adopting 1Password as a replacement for SplashID (mainly for all the sync and integration - especially what's forthcoming in iOS8 and Yosemite), but am really struggling with the lack of flexibility presented by the lack of customiseable Categories, and the limitation of multiple vault sync not offering the option to all use iCloud - I want good sync but don't want to trust even encrypted data to DropBox.

Please add my name to the long list clamouring for custom categories. FYI, I have 1096 unique SplashID records divided across 55 categories - 1Password just doesn't scale and flex sufficiently to support my way of working.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your detailed feedback about this, @bruceldavies. Your name has been added to the clamouring custom category request list. :)

• rosemarycb
    rosemarycb
    Community Member
    Options

I just experienced the straw that broke the camel's back with SplashID (totally messing up years worth of data), and I decided to try 1Password. At $49.95, I was shocked to discover that there was no way to add custom categories! That's what I have been doing with SplashID for years, as well as being able to edit the fields for each category. So please add my name to the list of clamorers for custom categories! HELP!! SOON!! PLEASE!! Thanks!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014
    Options

Hi @rosemarycb. Welcome to 1Password and the forum!

I'm happy to have added your name to the request for custom category support and hope something like using "pseudo-templates" with custom fields/sections can be helpful for you right now.

This discussion has been closed.