Login Edit does not load current login details

Options
Ian_Winter
Ian_Winter
Community Member

Using 1Password 4.0.7 on OS X 10.8.5 (and this was also the case with earlier versions of 1Password 4), if I am on a website where I have a 1Password Login saved, and I click within 1Password Mini to see the login details, and then click on “Edit” to edit those details (most commonly because I want to see the plaintext password), when the main 1Password app opens, it does NOT show the currently selected login, it just shows the last one I happened to be looking at in the 1Password app.

BUT… if I start typing anything, it suddenly loads the relevant record and starts replacing the name of it (with whatever I’m typing). So the whole process is clunky and unhelpful.

One other thing: the old 1Password used to allow me to see a list of recently-generated passwords. This was really useful if I generated a password for a site, but neglected to save it as a 1Password login. Please bring that back (or tell me where it is in 1Password 4; I don’t see it). Thanks.

Comments

• Ian_Winter
    Ian_Winter
    Community Member
    Options

Further background on this: I'm clicking Edit via the 1Password Extension for Firefox v24.0.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

As to your first post, generated passwords which are not linked to any saved login should be saved in the Passwords category.

Stephen

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Ian_Winter,

I've found the Edit-related bug in our tracker and added a comment about your report of it. I wasn't able to reproduce it with 4.0.9 no matter where 1P mini was opened from but definitely remember it happening in some earlier versions.

As an alternative to selecting Edit in a 1P mini item details window to open the item in 1P main (when that works, of course) to view passwords you can press (and hold) the Option key to temporarily reveal hidden passwords there, similar to its usage in the 1P main app. Here's a helpful related post from @oshloel:

Go into the main 1pw preferences Security pane and uncheck Conceal Passwords to always display your passwords in both 1pw and 1pw mini.

If that is too revealing on an ongoing basis, then search in Mini as you do now and press the Option key when viewing the details to reveal the password. You can then click the anchor symbol to keep the details window open while you type the pw. Lastly dismiss the mini details window by clicking the red close button like any other window.

Plus my followup:

An convenient alternative for:

Go into the main 1pw preferences Security pane and uncheck Conceal Passwords to always display your passwords in both 1pw and 1pw mini.

… is to use the Control-Command-P shortcut for View > Conceal Passwords to toggle the corresponding preference you mentioned. Of course the 1P4 main app has to be active for that to work, while your clever tip of temporarily holding Option while anchoring a 1P mini window is similar in that context.

In addition to what @Stephen_C mentioned about the Passwords category for previously generated passwords, there's also the History tab under the 1P mini/extension Password Generator. Plus Previously used passwords in item details is another place you might look for previous passwords. There are some related posts in: another topic. I'd rather not bloat this one any further by quoting from there. :)

I hope that information is helpful, Ian!

This discussion has been closed.