Difference between ID definition and password definition

Options
JeromeC
JeromeC
Community Member

Hi

I've been using 1P for a long time but I never understood the difference between the "Identifiant" objects (User ID I guess, I don't know the exact wording in the English version, I use the French version) and "Passwords" objects, since they both store a URL and a password, except the Password object definition doesn't have a user ID, so basically what's the use of those password objects in my main windows ?

Also I can see repeated / duplicated entries of those password objects in my list, what's the point ? (I only have one valid password for one valid user ID for a specific website).

Thanks

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I think you're referring to what appears in the Passwords category. That category generally stores generated passwords not linked to saved logins. If you right click on it and choose Remove Redundant 1Password will scan and remove from Passwords any passwords that have exactly the same password and login URL as a saved login. (You can do the same thing by going to Help > Tools > Remove Redundant Generated Passwords.)

Does that help?

Stephen

• JeromeC
    JeromeC
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not sure to understand what can be a "generated passwords not linked to saved logins", you mean something 1P saves "by itself" without me asking to save an ID+password on a website ? What's the use of it ?

Also I didn't find the remove redundant on the right click but I did from the help/tools menu, but it only found 2 when there are more than this having the same name... (and also the same URL).

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

My understanding is that if you generate a password but don't then proceed and specifically save it with full login details in Logins it will be saved in Passwords—but I've not experimented to see if that's how it in fact works. I suspect it's a (welcome) safety net in case, for example, anyone creates a generated password but gets interrupted and doesn't complete the login details.

Stephen

• JeromeC
    JeromeC
    Community Member
    Options

Ah ok, can anybody please confirm Stephen's thoughts ?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@JeromeC

Yes, and you can easily test this yourself: open 1Password mini, select password generator but instead of Fill, you press Copy. The created password will appear under the Password category. You can also select the Password category when pressing the plus button in the main application.

• JeromeC
    JeromeC
    Community Member
    Options

Ok cool :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @JeromeC.

Here's more information, kind of a work-in-progress, related to the cool comments from @Stephen_C and @Xe997. :)

I'll start with Password Generator (PG) usage:

Each time Fill or Copy is used in the 1P mini/extension Password Generator one (when using Copy) or two (when using Fill) new items are created in the Passwords category. With Fill, one item uses the current site URL hostname (e.g. www.twitter.com) and the other uses the web browser name that was active (e.g. Safari) for its title, both having the same password. With Copy, the active application name (e.g. Finder) is used for the item's title. This can be confirmed (e.g. in a disposable secondary vault) by selecting the Passwords category in the 1P main, then monitoring changes to it as Fill and Copy are used in the 1P mini/extension. And selecting Duplicate Passwords under SECURITY AUDIT will displays pairs of items under the item list created with the same password using Fill.

That usage of Fill and Copy in the 1P mini/extension PG is the only way new items are automatically added to the Passwords category.

Now about Remove Redundant Generated Passwords (RRGP) usage:

Running RRGP lets 1Password scan for all Login and Password items that have exactly the same password and the same URL, then offers to Trash the Password items. Any Login items are always retained.

Also …

There's the History tab under the 1P mini/extension Password Generator. Plus Previously used passwords in item details is another place you might look for previous passwords. There are some related posts in: another topic.

I hope that's helpful. Please let me know if you have any questions about this.

This discussion has been closed.