Icloud session expired keeps asking me to sign in again.

Options
AMIL
AMIL
Community Member

When I first open Ipassword and also intermittently I get a message saying my icloud sync session has expired asking me to sign into my icloud acct again. I sign in and it starts to sync, brings me to a blank page with an apple in the upper left hand corner and a sync symbol in the middle that looks like it's syncing but never finishes

1Password Version: 6.3Beta-24
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: icloud
Referrer: forum-search:icloud syncing

Comments

• schelling
    schelling
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having this problem too.

1Password 6
    Version 6.3 (630032)
    AgileBits Store
    Safari Extension Version 4.5.6

• 7dy4ru9
    7dy4ru9
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Yup, same here. This started a few days ago. FF latest + el capitan,

1Password 6
    Version 6.3 (630032)
    AgileBits Store

• robinbutton
    robinbutton
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Me too! This just started last week for no reason. Attached is an image of the popup box that I get. Then I get the same blank page with the spinning icon provided by the original poster in this thread.

1password 6 version 6.3
    OSX El Capitan
    version 10.11.5
    AgileBits store
    Google Chrome browser

• kerjsmit
    kerjsmit
    Community Member
    Options

Same here. Very annoying.

El Capitan 10.11.5
    1Password 6
    Version 6.3 (630032)
    AgileBits Store
    Opera Browser version 37.0.2178.43

• 7dy4ru9
    7dy4ru9
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

solution, posted elsewhere here, but can't find the link now

• open 1password > preferences > sync.
    • Set primary sync to "none". Do not delete your data when asked.
    • Then set it back to icloud, login to icloud and initiate a sync run.

Shouldn't have to do this again going forward.

• SDoherty
    SDoherty
    Community Member
    Options

Did the 'solution', but issue persists.

• Malcolm
    Malcolm
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue on 3 macs running Yosemite...

'solution' is not a solution :-(

• Jeffj
    Jeffj
    Community Member
    Options

Same for me. Solution does not work.

• JBishopJrTexas
    JBishopJrTexas
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Same issue on 3 Macs running El Capitan. Have performed the "throw the network preferences away" fix multiple times. Problem just begins again. This needs immediate attention from AgileBits!

• craigmarl
    craigmarl
    Community Member
    Options

+1 Tried the solution with no luck. I get session expired notifications daily now it would seem

• brighp
    brighp
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here as well. Screen displays and behaviour all exactly as indicated in this thread. Became apparent over recent days. (i.e. before the very latest update was applied, which I hoped would resolve it). Successful re-login to iCloud (which is already logged in, btw) creates a new tab in Safari https://cdn.apple-cloudkit.com/ck-auth/?prtn=24&host=setup.apple-cloudkit.com&oauth_verifier= .. [redacted], with a spinning ring of death in the centre. Regardless of re-login state, all sync'ing to iPhone & iPad working as normal.

1Password 6
    Version 6.3 (630032)
    AgileBits Store
    MacBook Pro Retina 15"Late 2013, 16Gb, El Capitan 10.11.5

• jfnixon
    jfnixon
    Community Member
    Options

Same here. Did the sync-none reset, logged back in, but session expires every day.

I'm going back to Dropbox sync. Any pointers for switching from iCloud to Dropbox sync?

• staffordvaughan
    staffordvaughan
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem, and the problem persists after switching off iCloud sync and enabling. Is the 1Password team aware of this bug and working on it?

• rjesson
    rjesson
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

I have the same problem on all my Macs. It has been going on for a few days now without resolution. I've tried the suggested fix and it doesn't work. I have updated to the latest release (6.3) and the problem still continues.
    The time is rapidly coming for me to uninstall and just use iCloud keychain. I'm disappointed by the apparent lack of information or response from Agilebits.
    Is this due to malicious software getting me to enter my most secret key password then stealing it?; Is there a work-around?; When can I expect a fix from this problem?; without answers to these questions I am wondering if my passwords are safe, should I change ALL my passwords, have they been compromised?, Will my bank account get emptied?

This behaviour is what I would expect it a hacker was after our passwords,
    1. Upload a key logger,
    2. Damage 1Password so that you are forced to keep re-entering you password onto a web page
    3. Use the stolen password to get access to all passwords.
    I would like some re-assurance here please.

• ethnicolor
    ethnicolor
    Community Member
    Options

There were lots of responses from AG on this problem up to yesterday (checking Google's cache) but the thread seems to have been deleted. There were lots of people experiencing this problem very recently, and AG's suggestions aren't working for many people (including myself). I'm sure they're working on it, my experience wither their support in the past has always been very good.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I don't know why you say

I'm disappointed by the apparent lack of information or response from Agilebits.

They have made plenty of responses in this forum, almost too many to count. They have clearly stated that this is an Apple bug that has come up in the last few days (the Apple token that allows 1PW to use iCloud keeps expiring). Only Apple can solve it, though AgileBits can report it to Apple and work with them to solve it.

The workaround is not a true solution, just a short-term answer while Apple gets its act together.

For those who say the solution does not work, what does "does not work" mean? It does seem that while the Apple bug persists, one may have to use this process at least once a day. Are people finding that it fails more often than that?

It is a very frightening issue, as this kind of thing could easily be a hacker attack. Blame Apple, though.

• ethnicolor
    ethnicolor
    Community Member
    Options

In my case, it's about once per day, or at least every time I restart my Mac. It doesn't seem to be failing multiple times in the same logged-in session.

This does seem to be a hot topic, however. If I was AG I'd post a definintive update and make the thread sticky. As a customer that would satisfy me, for now, that AG are aware of the issue and are doing what they can.

• rjesson
    rjesson
    Community Member
    Options

"They have made plenty of responses in this forum, almost too many to count"

Where are they then? A lot of the responses have apparently been deleted,
    This thread is at the top of the list and I can see no satisfactory explanation above. Or should I take time to read every thread, incase their is a better explanation in one of them. This problem is already costing me a good deal of time.
    I own a few Macs and my wife also has the same problem on her Mac and so does my son on his, that amounts to a great inconvenience while also worrying me that we are being hacked. I was reluctant to enter my password at first, thinking that I might be being targeted and I'm still not satisfied that I'm not.

• pt44
    pt44
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem - and I can't see a single response from Agile Bits here.

So, it's an Apple problem someone said about. That's cool, I can understand that - but surely someone from AB should state that here nice and clearly. Only just looked at these support pages - but had the problem for over a week now. Very annoying.

• iPeP
    iPeP
    Community Member
    Options

Look like AppStore / iCould issue.
    I had the same error message coming up again and again..
    I f you have a dropbox account... move from iCloud to Dropbox, that will stop immediately.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi everyone,

I’m sorry for the inconveniences that this has been causing, and thank you all for your patience! We are very well aware of the issue and working to fix it. For anyone who's not seen it yet, you can read the detailed explanation of what's going on, why it's happening and how to fix it (at least temporarily) on this post.

We hope to get this fully sorted out as soon as possible! :chuffed:

• deverman
    deverman
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem with 1password 6.3. It is asking me everyday to confirm the token.

• ag_kevin
    Options

Hi @deverman ,

To add some clarity - that proposed solution is to solve the multiple consecutive prompts in version 6.2.1. There is still the ongoing issue of it asking every day. We do not yet have a solution to that, as it seems to be coming from iCloud itself. We are working with Apple to find a solution to that problem.

Regards,
    Kevin

• melvynadam
    melvynadam
    Community Member
    Options

Perhaps this isn't the best place to ask this but I came here because I'm also experiencing this issue and now I'm wondering about the relative merits of the different sync locations. Others have mentioned switching to Dropbox. If all the clients can use Dropbox, what is the benefit of using iCloud? I understand AgileBits wanting to give us choice but is there a summary of the pros and cons of Dropbox vs iCloud?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@melvynadam: I went into this a bit in another discussion, but I'll add that Dropbox requires a separate account/app, while iCloud is built into the OS (and you'll have an account by virtue of being in the Apple ecosystem in the first place). However, iCloud only works with the Primary vault, whereas Dropbox can be used to sync (and share) multiple vaults. Finally, while iCloud is easy to setup on Apple devices, only Dropbox is supported on other platforms as well. Depending on your needs, some, all, or none of these will make any difference to you. All else being equal, iCloud is simple, while Dropbox is flexible. Both have their merits. :)

• melvynadam
    melvynadam
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I suspect the vast majority of users, like me, already have Dropbox installed and running.
    But again I was mainly intrigued by the notion of people saying they were really annoyed by this iCloud bug and were going to switch to Dropbox until Apple fixes the bug, It just seemed to me that once I've moved away from iCloud the only incentive to go back is if one day there's a sync problem with my Vault on Dropbox :)

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@melvynadam different... um... sync tools for different folks. Like brenty said, some people might not have Dropbox installed on all their devices. Or they might trust one sync tool over another. Besides the limitations of platforms and vault syncing mentioned above, it's pretty much all the same to 1Password no matter how you sync :)

• ryanthered
    ryanthered
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. I've read the forum stickies and the solutions here and I think there are two things the developers / support staff are missing here.

1. The prompts to login to iCloud happen multiple times (twice in a rapid succession) every few minutes or so, opening new tabs in your default browser and grabbing focus, even from other applications. For me, it used to be 1 time every few minutes, then I tried the solution above to re-configure sync. Not sure if it's related, but now there are two prompts.
    2. This is so even if you attempt to sign in to iCloud. If you sign in to one of the iCloud OAuth prompts as requested, while it would appear that some process begins to execute, nothing actually completes. There is a wait screen with a little circular wait animation, but it would appear no token is actually received... because the whole thing continues to repeat.

I have confirmed my login information by manually signing into iCloud.

May I suggest that the AgileBits developers configure a Mac with OS X release 10.11.4, configure iCloud sync on a vault, then update to 10.11.5 and Safari 9.1.1. Reproduction of the behavior should then be easy.

iCloud is a better sync technology for iOS devices and OS X in many ways because the client is built in to the OS. That is why it is preferable; in a recovery scenario, the fewer moving pieces or third party apps and clients (and passwords) the better.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The prompts to login to iCloud happen multiple times (twice in a rapid succession) every few minutes or so, opening new tabs in your default browser and grabbing focus, even from other applications. For me, it used to be 1 time every few minutes, then I tried the solution above to re-configure sync. Not sure if it's related, but now there are two prompts.

What version of 1Password for Mac are you using?

This is so even if you attempt to sign in to iCloud. If you sign in to one of the iCloud OAuth prompts as requested, while it would appear that some process begins to execute, nothing actually completes. There is a wait screen with a little circular wait animation, but it would appear no token is actually received... because the whole thing continues to repeat.

I do not believe this was the case before, thanks for letting us know. We are still working to figure out exactly what is happening here.

May I suggest that the AgileBits developers configure a Mac with OS X release 10.11.4, configure iCloud sync on a vault, then update to 10.11.5 and Safari 9.1.1. Reproduction of the behavior should then be easy.

This should not be necessary. We believe we know what's causing the issue, and it's something that appears to be outside our control. The version of OS X, which browser is used, and the version of that browser shouldn't have anything to do with what's happening.

iCloud is a better sync technology for iOS devices and OS X in many ways because the client is built in to the OS. That is why it is preferable; in a recovery scenario, the fewer moving pieces or third party apps and clients (and passwords) the better.

Whereas others might want to use Dropbox because they could recover their information on a Windows device, even if they normally use a Mac. Like I said: different... um... sync tools for different folks. :)

• rswar
    rswar
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem as well. On two different mac systems and users. Tried resetting the Sync to iCloud and that worked temporarily but the problem persists. iMac and MBP, OS X 10.10, 1Password v6.3

This discussion has been closed.