Downgrade link from 1Password 7 to 6

Options
baxterkimel
baxterkimel
Community Member

Can you provide us a link to the 1Password 6 package?

I recently upgraded from 1Password 6 to 1Password 7. But after using it for a week, and trying my best to like it, I've found that the recent changes to the user experience and the UI really result in an overall net negative experience between the versions.

Everything from how the new Mini looks and works (why is the window so much bigger than before? and why is 99% of the real-estate taken up by irrelevant suggestions like my credit card and identities, when the most important thing is simply the 1 or 2 suggested logins?)...

...to lack of folders (why can't I organize my Smart folders under folders? I used to have Smart folders around different types like those that searched for all the different addresses I used to live at. Made it super easy to update addresses whenever I moved)...

...to lack of top nav structure...

..to the fact that I have to click ONE ADDITIONAL TIME to switch vaults!
1Password 6 (2 clicks): Click "All Vault", then click the Vault to switch. DONE.
1Password 7 (3 clicks): Click Vault switcher to open Vault list, click on Vault to change to, click on Vault switch AGAIN to hide it and access other left-nav items.

Frustrating to say the least. The UX is everything in this day in age of consumer-focused apps.

I'm not alone either:
https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/436725#Comment_436725
https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/436685#Comment_436685

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/90306/please-bring-back-top-list-view

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

it's here for Macs.
    and here for PCs

I've just downgraded myself after being unable to change vaults (more than once) without restarting my Mac every time. If you have a subscription, its easy - just delete the current version and install the new version. It remembered my account and I only had to type in my master password to get it going (I'm on a Mac).

• mark_ux
    mark_ux
    Community Member
    Options

I have experienced the same as @baxterkimel. Specifically talking about the macOS version:

• Why 1Password v7 does not* respect native macOS UI colors (like background colors, lines, etc) and instead uses its own light-greyed colours everywhere? It feels definitely like an application NOT being written natively for macOS.
    • The Mini stuff is not 'mini' at all, and takes a LOT of precious real-state, completely without need.
    • Suggestions: Please update 1Password v7 to use macOS NATIVE colors, instead of trying to reinvent the wheel. One of the cool stuff about macOS, is that applications and OS feels like an ecosystem.... and when any app tries to do its own thing instead of respecting Apple Human Interface Guidelines, the immediate user feeling is to really want to uninstall such application: just like I did with 1Password v7, and Skype v8.

Upgrade your 1P anything you want, but please keep colours and UI interfaces in match with our lovely OS.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @baxterkimel! You're certainly not alone -- our customer base is large enough that any time we make any change at all, there will be a segment of our user base who are not happy with the changes. Not because anything is actually broken, just because the prefer the old way. And that's fine. This forum exists as one channel for people to air their thoughts about 1Password, and that holds doubly-true for upgrade time, and we're genuinely grateful for every bit of feedback we receive. I've said it before on these forums but I'll repeat it here: many of the features you see in 1Password today have their origins at least in part from ideas or suggestions from the user community.

However, as a security company, we can't recommend you use anything but the most-recent version of ALL your mission-critical software. Not just 1Password, but your OS as well as related security-focused software, browsers, and the like. Intentionally downgrading software of this nature for any reason not just can but likely will result in an increased risk. That said, our updates server is public and not a secret, so if you'd like to download older versions of 1Password dating back to version 1 for both Windows and Mac, you're welcome to do so, and you'll be able to license them if you owned licenses for those versions. Good luck! :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JamesHenderson

I've just downgraded myself after being unable to change vaults (more than once) without restarting my Mac every time.

That's certainly not common, nor expected, behavior. If you're interested in pursuing why that may have been happening in your specific setup and not ours here, we'd be more than happy to help. It sounds as if you may have already made your decision, however, which is also fine -- with the caveats I mentioned in my reply above (we recommend against downgrading).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mark_ux

I have experienced the same as @baxterkimel.

I'm not quite sure what you mean; @baxterkimel didn't mention anything about colors in his/her post, but that's OK. Thanks for the suggestions! :)

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

@Lars It may not be common, but I am not the only one experiencing it. @Corey_C has told me that it is a known bug in another thread.

I had no choice but to downgrade (which was very easy with a subscription by the way). I needed to access multiple vaults and I could not afford to restart my Mac every few minutes to do so. ...this bug had stopped me from working. I will (re)upgrade when it is fixed.

[added] ...I should say with reference to your caveat; In principle I do agree with you, but it's not as if v6 has suddenly become a liability in the few days since v7 was released - if anything v6 is more stable. It's also actually a relief to have the old mini interface back again (even if only for a few days).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JamesHenderson - Mmmm, while that issue certainly is a real thing, I'm not sure that's what you're experiencing, based on how you described it. But if you're content with version 6 for the time being, and with checking our updates page for version 7, then more power to you. :)

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Corey was pretty sure...

as I wrote - I have no choice but to downgrade as v7 is unusable for me right now. It's not about being content it's about necessity.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JamesHenderson: Would you be willing to send a diagnostic report first? I'm not sure why you'd be having trouble changing vaults. I haven't heard that from anyone else.

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty thanks for the offer :+1:

Can you please check out this thread first and I'll see you over there? ...I doubt I have any logs left having downgraded for the time-being. though.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good. :) :+1:

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

@lars hi - if it helps clarify, this is an example of the same problem as mine

• mtk67
    mtk67
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the links to v6. I unfortunately am going to have to downgrade the family. Having lots of problems with fast user switching. And each point release of v7 this week has introduced a new problem. With the latest in 7.0.3, I can't see the vaults when I change to a different one. It stays with the one I started with. This has impacted usability, not to mention the bugs that prevent the Safari and Mini extensions to work at all.

I agree with others on their comments about poor UI choices in v7. It seems much more complicated than it needs to be and the Mini window is too big, with too much info and not in the location that I expect it to be.

From some of the replies by AgileBits members in the forums, I feel like we are being chided for just not being used to the new version yet. I hope that you are taking the feedback to heart by your passionate user base here and give some consideration to making some adjustments in v7. I HATE the idea of going back to v6 since I doubt you will continue to make security updates to this code base. But 1PW is too important to my workflow to a) not work and b) make things harder than they used to. I will come back to v7 - but I'm going to let some of these bugs get squished for a bit before I do and I will check the forums to see what improvements are being made.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mtk67 - Not sure what you're referring to regarding the mini "not working at all" -- this sounds like something that may be unique to your system, as it seems to be working generally elsewhere, including on my own setup of several Macs. We'd be happy to investigate, but it sounds as if you've already made the decision to switch back to 1Password 6.

• mtk67
    mtk67
    Community Member
    Options

@lars https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/90679/fast-user-switching-breaks-safari-extension-under-investigation
    Or just unique to all the folks that use fast user switching with multiple logins on the same Mac.

There are plenty of threads indicating problems with safari and chrome extensions not working.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mtk67 - right. We've gotten a few reports of this. In other words, working generally elsewhere. :) If you'd like to send in a diagnostics report to help us troubleshoot what's going on in these few cases, that would be helpful.

• ginnySL
    ginnySL
    Community Member
    Options

I was happy to see that others had the same complaints as me. Especially baxterkimel at the top of this thread. I understand making updates and changes to improve by why change the easy drop down with the few suggested options? Why is the sign in window SO BIG? Certainly at least the huge window was unnecessary and offers no additional benefit. I've just reinstalled the V6. I'm not happy that I don't have the latest version but I'm happier with the UI here.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @ginnySL! Thanks for weighing in here. :)

• marzzz
    marzzz
    Community Member
    Options

@JamesHenderson

Thank you for the downgrade links! My Mac automatically upgraded me to 1Password 7 (while I was on vacation, no less) and it was a total disaster for me; I was unable to access my previous Vault, despite creating an account. I was using 1Password on my MacBook Pro (originally purchased from iTunes/App Store in 2014), as well as more recently on my iPhone. Now I need to figure out how to cancel my subscription and prevent my iPhone from automatically updating the iOS app.

Sorry Agilebits, I was a huge proponent of 1Password until you decided to go with a subscription model and make it difficult to smoothly transition previously established Vaults.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018
    Options

@marzzz: 1Password for Mac doesn't have an automatic upgrade process, but I'm glad if you were able to reinstall the previous version if you prefer that.

1Password supports both membership subscriptions and using licenses with local vaults, but indeed, if you signed up for a membership it would default to that. Generally speaking, people who pay the subscription don't also want to pay for a license. If you want to cancel the membership you signed up for, you can do so at any time:

Manage your 1Password subscription

And if you have any questions just let us know. :)

ref: BMC-92126-977

• marzzz
    marzzz
    Community Member
    Options

I was able to cancel my subscription, thank you. Fortunately, I have been able to resume using 1Password 6 and was able to recover all of my passwords, data, etc. But generally, it appears that even if you paid for a license in the past, to upgrade to 1Password 7 it requires you to go to a membership subscription; while I am not in favor of that, at the very least there should be some kind of upgrade process where you can retain all of your data. If I am reading other's comments correctly, this isn't the case.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @marzzz, we do still support standalone 1Password licenses, but only if the app is downloaded through our website here. The app store version, on the other hand, requires a membership.

Hope that helped. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

• marzzz
    marzzz
    Community Member
    Options

@JadC

So if I download 1Password7 directly from the website, will it automatically update all of my data from my current version of 1Password6? I am a bit confused, but more than a bit concerned as I don't want to risk losing all of my password data as happened previously. Thanks.

• Ben
    Options

@marzzz

It should, yes. Worst case scenario the data isn’t lost — it is still on your computer, we just need to nudge 1Password 7 to find it. But again it should do that automatically. Please let us know how you make out.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@marzzz: Also, if you do want to try a 1Password.com membership at some point, you don't need to start over with nothing; we've got a great guide for migrating your existing data to an account. And of course we're here for you if you have any questions about 1Password, no matter what. :)

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

@marzz you're welcome. Sorry for the late reply, email notifications are not working for me (no clue why).

• Ben
    Options

:+1:

Ben

• pradyotghate
    pradyotghate
    Community Member
    Options

The 7.2 version is really impossible to use - seems like things are just getting worse.

The mini-app in the menu bar is too big (and takes the center of the screen) after upgrade to 7. Was coping with it but now (after 7.2.1) it doesn't work at all. I keep tapping it and nothing happens. Only works once after the app is restarted and then it is back to being not responsive.

Safari Extension is also not working - it brings the main app to front and then goes back to Safari.

It is disheartening to read excuses on this forum like "our customer base is large enough that any time we make any change at all, there will be a segment of our user base who are not happy with the changes" by the team members. These are not changes that are unlikable. These are changes that are basically rendering the app unusable (in case of Safari Extension) or getting the way using the app (e.g. mini). Maybe, if users are downgrading versions, it is time to listen to users (or do some user testing) and fix things instead of making excuses.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @pradyotghate! I'm sorry for the trouble. 7.2 is working just fine for me here, and we've had no widespread reports of it not working, so that makes me wonder what might be going on in your particular case.

With respect to the mini, yes, that was definitely changed in 1Password 7 for Mac...but it hasn't change in the 7.2 update. You can place it anywhere on your screen you like, and 1Password should remember to pop it up next time right where you left it. Numerous users have chosen to drag it to just underneath their browser toolbar, so it looks/feels like the previous version's drop-down/flyout menus.

With regard to the extension, I'd need a little more information to know what might be wrong and how we might right it. You didn't mention what specific version of macOS, and what browser (and version) you're using. Can you share that with us? Thanks. :)

This discussion has been closed.