Please improve non-cloud sync options

Options
dannyt
dannyt
Community Member
edited June 2014 in iOS

and not the cleverly not answering like what usually happens here. 1. When is USB sync from the Mac to the iPhone going to work again? 2. When is WiFi going to do a complete sync with all attachments? I am getting so frustrated by your companies complete lack of concern for taking away the USB sync option and not even bothering to advise of that fact before we upgraded. Your software engineers can find the time to fix things that have no relevance to 99% of the current users (fixing iOS 8 problems, v4.5.3) but cant find the time to fix an issue that has been ongoing for months (USB syncing). Your company used to be great and could do no wrong the the highest concern for customer usability, unfortunately the opposite is true these days.

Comments

• Jasper
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @dannyt,

Thank you for all the feedback!

When is USB sync from the Mac to the iPhone going to work again?

The USB Sync tool is no longer being developed, and we have no plans to bring it back currently.

However, 1Password 4.5.2 for iOS now creates automatic backups that are accessible via iTunes. And we are planning to add a restore function in a future update. This backup/restore function will use iTunes' file sharing feature to transfer backup files between iOS and Mac.

When is WiFi going to do a complete sync with all attachments?

We hope to add support for syncing attachments using Wi-Fi soon, but unfortunately I don't have a timeline.

Your software engineers can find the time to fix things that have no relevance to 99% of the current users (fixing iOS 8 problems, v4.5.3) but cant find the time to fix an issue that has been ongoing for months (USB syncing).

Actually, developing for iOS 8 has significant relevance for our users. We do have many users running the iOS 8 beta currently, but more importantly, in the fall nearly all of our users will update to iOS 8 and expect 1Password to work correctly. Our developers have lots of work to do in preparation for iOS 8, including implementing huge iCloud changes (and exploring exciting new features such as Touch ID and Extensibility).

Thanks again for the feedback! We do understand the need for a non-cloud sync option, and we are working on it. Sorry for any inconvenience in the mean time.

• duelist77
    duelist77
    Community Member
    Options

Seconding @dannyt's comment here. If Agilebits does understand the need for a wired/non-cloud syncing option, they would place getting that fixed at high (dare I say, highest) priority. Apparently they have not.

Yes, developing for iOS 8 may be important as preparation for the future, but wired syncing is more important because it's a feature many of us were already relying on and need now.

• Jasper
    Options

Thanks for the additional feedback, duelist77‌.

• eleve
    eleve
    Community Member
    Options

Having just spent some time trying to get a customers USB sync to work again, I can only support what the people here wrote.

In addition to that I'd like to add that I really don't think it is Agilebits job to tell their customers how to sync their data. Especially not now...

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @eleve,

I sincerely apologize for the frustration here. I know that users have been very patient with us as we've worked to improve our non-cloud-based sync options, and we very much appreciate that! I can't say much further at this time, but thank you for keeping us honest - your feedback is being listened to. :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi all,

I just wanted to follow up here- our developers have made some awesome improvements to Wi-Fi sync lately! In our latest 1Password 4 for iOS beta release notes are the following improvements:

[NEW] Wi-Fi sync on iOS is now fully automatic.

[IMPROVED] Improved Wi-Fi sync to sync attachments. (Requires the latest beta of 1Password for Mac for Yosemite)

While these improvements are still in beta testing, we'll do what we can to release them to you all just as soon as possible - thanks for your patience! :)

• littlebobbytables
    Options

@Megan That sounds like some good strides are being made with WiFi sync. I don't use the betas so could you comment on my post describing my current setup and if I will have to rethink how I work in the not too distant future. Thank you :)

This discussion has been closed.