Printing Select Items in 1Password

Options
paranoyd
paranoyd
Community Member
edited May 2015 in Mac

I'm exploring new solutions for my company (we are moving off a custom-built Filemaker Pro database) and was kinda surprised to find there is no ability to print reports for selected items. I had read here...

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/35625/printing-report-for-selected-items

...that security was an issue. But certainly such concerns are best left handled by the end-user, no? Give them a suggestion-warning to store their printed passwords safely (such as a safe deposit box or a safe) and then let the user decide.

And is security really that much of a concern? Even if I stored my printed passwords under my bed, someone would need to gain physical access to my house - without me knowing - for my passwords to be compromised. Or my passwords would need to be compromised by someone I felt comfortable enough leaving alone in my house. That is a very small list. Whereas on my computer, the encryption is needed because, potentially, the entire planet has anonymous access to my computer.

For us, our feature request would be the ability to print selected items to a PDF, secure or otherwise. Especially for end-of-life clients who are not yet ready to hand over the keys to their computer, but would like a list of passwords sitting in a locked filed cabinet in their lawyer's office. I understand that I can slice and dice my data in Excel. That, however, is a stretch for a lot of users. Especially the ones I deal with.

AgileBits Update:
We have a workaround for printing a select series of 1Password items in this post.

Comments

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @paranoyd,

Thanks for the feedback! We have an open feature request for printing multiple selected items in our internal tracker, and I'll add your vote. :)

ref: OPM-1481

• paranoyd
    paranoyd
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you!

• Jasper
    Options

You're welcome! :)

• jiclark
    jiclark
    Community Member
    Options

I love 1Password; I have 1149 entries in it! When I choose Print, it tells me that it's going to print 309 pages!?! Isn't there any way you guys could implement some minimal print options, allowing users to more economically distribute the data on the page, or ideally just print account names & usernames/passwords? Is it really hard to give us some customization capabilities for printing our data?

Many thanks for all your hard work on this amazing tool.

Sincerely,
    John

• madmarion
    madmarion
    Community Member
    Options

I have exactly the same need. I have several clients that need their passwords printed out to store it at a safe place, because they are not "digital native" enough to store them digitally. I see there is a way to print several entries on one page, but the print does not look really sexy.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi @jiclark,

I can certainly make a note of your request although as you can guess, it doesn't help for right now when you want this.

I don't know if it will be an acceptable workaround for now but with a few additional steps you could achieve what you want. Let's see what you think of my idea.

Instead of printing your vault what I would suggest is exporting your vault via File > Export > All Items... (this would work just as well with the Selected Items... option if you wanted to use that). You would be asked to enter your Master Password just like you would with printing and when the export dialog appears you would change the File Format: from 1Password Interchange Format (.1pif) to Command Delimited Text (.csv) and it will look like this:

I ticked the Include Column Labels checkbox and reordered and deleted fields as below.

If I then load that into Apple's Numbers (LibreOffice or any spreadsheet application you may have, it doesn't matter) I can turn what was a 12 page printout from our demo vault into a single page of a single line per entry detailing title, type, username and password.

So it is a few more steps and does require using another program but it would mean you could create that printout you were looking for now rather than waiting for a future update from us before returning to this task.

What do you think?

ref: OPM-1941

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @madmarion ,

Thanks for adding your vote here. I'll let the team know you're keen on seeing a feature like this in the future.

• user007
    user007
    Community Member
    Options

I used this to go from 64 pages to 8 pages. Reduced the headings to four. Still pretty messy and leaves out a lot. Thanks

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi @user007,

I'm glad that suggestion was helpful for you! :)

I wanted to mention another workaround that might be easier: When you choose the Print option in 1Password, click the Show Details button in the print settings. Then look for the Layout settings in one of the drop-down menus (I needed to click on Media & Quality and change it to Layout). That should show more settings, including Pages per Sheet. Choosing more pages per sheet will fit more of your items on each page, and therefore use fewer pages to print all your information. I'm not sure if that option will appear for everyone, or if it depends on the printer being used. But it's definitely something to look for in case it helps.

The only drawback to this is that you can't customize the data that is being printed, and the text gets much smaller as you increase the pages per sheet. If that's a problem, the above suggestion from littlebobbytables might be better, since you can edit the spreadsheet before printing it.

If you need anything else, please let us know!

EDIT: After I posted this, I realized I sent this suggestion to you yesterday in this similar discussion. Sorry to repeat myself! ;) But hopefully this will be useful for others who might find this thread.

• fdavis99
    fdavis99
    Community Member
    Options

+1

--Franklin

• fdavis99
    fdavis99
    Community Member
    Options

The old print function that printed my 400 logins on 126 pages is not acceptable.

There is a real need for printing to paper -- archive in safe deposit box; share with spouse who is non-technical. I'm not worried about someone breaking into my house and finding the password list -- they're looking for electronics and jewelry. With proper warnings and confirmations, the ability to print in a decent layout is a top requirement for me and many other users (I just found 15+ posts requesting that just since December 14).

--Franklin

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member
    Options

I , too, would like that option. I have several sites and passwords that I need to have on paper copy to take with me while traveling, but don't want to print all my passwords and the voluminous pages that result. Right now I've had to manually copy each password for each site, to take with me. Using pen and paper (like the old days) and frankly, its a PITA! Thx for any help.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fdavis99,

I've noted your interest :smile: every vote counts so thank you.

ref: OPM-1481

What I would say is while you can't manually select multiple items and print that specific selection, if you have a folder or tag that represents the same selection e.g. by client, selecting that folder or tag in the Sidebar and printing does print just that subset of your vault. That might not be useful or it may allow some people to achieve the desired goal. I just thought I'd mention this in case. It won't help with the sexiness of the report I'm afraid :wink:

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fdavis99,

Thanks for letting us know! I see that you posted the same feedback on our Windows forum and received a reply from Mike. I don't have much to add to his reply except to say that while the Windows version of 1Password doesn't currently have a Print option, the Mac version certainly does - although I understand you want better layout/print formatting options so it doesn't take as many pages to print all your items. We may be able to improve that in the future, but for now, have you tried either of the workarounds described previously in this discussion?

I also noticed you added a "+1" in another Mac forum discussion about printing individual items. Your feedback has definitely been added to our internal tracker, and in case you haven't already see it, littlebobbytables suggested a simple workaround. I hope that was helpful for you! :)

Hi @tuni12,

Thanks for your feedback about this! I've added your comments to our open request for being able to print individual items. Do you happen to also use the iOS version of 1Password? If so, I wanted to mention that version can print individual items, so that might be helpful for you. Otherwise, please take a look at this workaround which will help you to print specific items from the Mac version, instead of your entire vault.

I hope this helps! If you have more questions or need anything else, please let us know. :)

• Nat Childs
    Nat Childs
    Community Member
    Options

The title says it all.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

On the assumption you're using 1P4 or 1P5 there's quite an extensive discussion of various printing options in this thread—which includes some recent ideas from AgileBits for minimising the amount of paper used. :)

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Nat Childs,

Hopefully you found the link Stephen_C posted helpful. If you have any follow up questions please do ask :smile:

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member
    Options

Thx, Drew - that workaround (selecting the folder in the sidebar) does work. Not great, however helps somewhat. Now, as for the iOS version, yes, I do have it. Unfortunately I don't have ability to print from my iPhone6 to my printer (have an HP Laser which is wired to DH's iMac, and Wireless to my MBPro). Is there some specific way to print from the iOS version that I haven't figured out and/or don't know about?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi folks - I'm currently working on a way for Windows and Mac users to print out your 1Password data (via an exported 1PIF). It will be included in the 1Password converters package. Hold tight...

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @MrC, that sounds great! :)

@tuni12, when viewing an item in 1Password, scroll to the bottom and tap the "Share" option, then choose Print. That will bring up the iOS Printer Options, and if your iPhone is able to find and connect to a printer, you should be able to select it from there.

In case you're having trouble printing from your iOS device in general, I found an article on Apple's support site that might help: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201387

I hope that helps, but please let us know if you have more questions!

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member
    Options

thanks, Drew - my printers are both too old, don't support AirPrint. Am awaiting Mr. C's conversion......

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tuni12, sorry to hear your printers don't support AirPrint! But hopefully MrC's new converter will help you out there.

We're here for you if you need anything else!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2015
    Options

Here's a sneak preview of where the printing is going:

The converter will output an HTML page which you can open in a browser to print. All of the fields within a record item will flow, so they fit nicely on a page (printed or on screen).

Behind the scenes, the 1PIF is converted to XML, which then gets XML stylesheet transformations (XSLT) applied. The current XSLT stylesheet outputs HTML w/embedded CSS. Since the XSLT transformations are applied to the XML, this means alternate stylesheets can be created to output other formats.

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member
    Options

Am I missing something? I don't see the actual Passwords on this printout. There has to be a field for that. Maybe I'm missing it????

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member
    Options

Never mind, I'm an idiot - it is there - sorry.... :-(

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

No worries! I'll play with the format a bit - still have to decide how to include Section titles. And I'll make it so that you can include / exclude categories.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi @MrC,

That's looking pretty great! As always, thanks for your help. :)

(EDIT: I've combined a few threads together here and removed your 'duplicate' comments - hopefully we can keep this topic in one place.)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Nat Childs ,

I've merged your comment with the existing discussion that Stephen referenced. Please have a look at the discussion here and let me know if you have any further questions!

I know we don't have a perfect answer for you here, but I'd be happy to let our team know that you'd like to see more flexible options with respect to printing.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Thanks @Megan.

Now is the time for folks to provide feedback as to the formatting needs, etc. The colors in the previews were intentionally garish to call out the current formatting structure.

My overarching goal was to provide a full printout with minimal pages (i.e. for safe keeping in a safe deposit box).

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2015
    Options

Here's an updated screenshot. I've modified some of the formatting, added Section names, added the ability to limit which categories are output, and applied a few abbreviations transformations to long field names. Also, take a look at the PDF printout version.

Side note, all the data here was generated from five other converters in the convert_to_1p4 package, from sample wallets I created. I ran the converters on the sample wallets, combined the resulting 1PIFs, and used that as the input to this new html-generating converter.

This discussion has been closed.