1Password is not creating the bookmarks-default.json file.

Options
joemichaelwright
joemichaelwright
Community Member

1Password refuses to create a bookmarks-default.json file with the current beta or previous 6.x versions. Is there a way to force it to create the file? I'm checking the folder "~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4". The "enable third party integrations" checkbox is checked as well. I've even unchecked it, then rechecked it without success. Any tips would be appreciated as I would like to integrate 1Password with Alfred once the file is created.

1Password Version: 6.3.BETA-19 (630019)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.4
Sync Type: Family Account
Referrer: kb-search:not creationg json file, kb-search:not creating json file, ug:mac/advanced-preferences, kb-search:bookmarks-default.json, kb-search:bookmarks-default.json not created

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@joemichaelwright: I'm sorry for the confusion! 1Password Families vault are not compatible with the old integration method, but we're exploring ways to make this possible in the future. In the mean time if 3rd party integration is critical, you can alway use a local vault for that purpose. Thanks for letting us know this feature is important to you too! :)

• kerrym
    kerrym
    Community Member
    Options

As an Alfred user, I'd also like to see the integration work. Thank you.

• ag_kevin
    Options

Thanks for the feedback @kerrym,

We do have a request open to the development team to look into this.

Cheers,
    Kevin

ref: OPM-432

• jyaworski
    jyaworski
    Community Member
    Options

Hi AgileBits. New Alfred user here. I was stumped by this, having a family account. I would like this feature also.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016
    Options

I'm sorry for that! Thanks for letting us know that Alfred integration is important to you and your 1Password Family as well.

• jarko_mankind
    jarko_mankind
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, I just downloaded a six month trial of 1password, as I'd like to try out the Alfred integration. As far as I am aware, the trial is not a family account. Still, Alfred is not able to connect to the 1password database and I can't find the json file anywhere (imported all my pw's from lastpass). Do I have to have the paid version and can't test these features in the free one?
    Thanks,
    Jarko

• Jacob
    Options

Hi @jarko_mankind! Thanks for asking. I just checked and you do have a 1Password account that's an individual one, and that doesn't support Alfred integration at the moment. If you need Alfred integration, I'd recommend switching back to the standalone version. You can do this by launching 1Password for Mac, choosing 1Password -> Preferences from the menu bar, switching to the Advanced tab, and checking the "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" box, then entering your Master Password.

A new vault called Primary will be created, and it supports Alfred. Last up, switch to your Personal vault from your account, select all the items by pressing A on your keyboard, and choose Item -> Share -> Primary -> Move from the menu bar to move your items over to the Primary vault. Lastly, you can sign out of your account if you don't plan to use it. Hope that helps! :)

• josiahgoff
    josiahgoff
    Community Member
    Options

I also want Alfred to work with my family vaults. I had become very reliant on using Alfred to quickly jump to my 1P bookmarks, but since upgrading to a family plan I can no longer do that for any logins I want to share with my family members (which is most of them).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@josiahgoff: We don't have a release date or anything, but we're working with them to make this possible in the future. Thanks for your patience and passion! :)

• jcraycraft
    jcraycraft
    Community Member
    Options

+1; upgraded to Family and now it doesn't work with Alfred. The bookmarks-default.json file is created but empty. Even after deleting and 1Password recreating the file, it's empty.

As we increase loyalty and dollars, product functionality decreases.

Ridiculous!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jcraycraft: As I mentioned above, we're working with the vendors to support this with 1Password Accounts. Thanks for letting us know that 3rd party integration is important to you! :)

• jcraycraft
    jcraycraft
    Community Member
    Options

It's misleading to say "we are working with the vendors" as there are zero dependencies on the 3rd parties. Alfred is only looking for a JSON file that includes an index to the URLs. It existed and was kept up to date by 1Password in previous versions, and now it's not.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jcraycraft,

The bookmarks-default.json file currently indexed by Alfred, LaunchBar, etc. is only generated with data from a single local Primary vault. Those apps will have to be updated to reflect whatever changes are made to 1Password for extending 3rd party integration support to multiple vaults (including ones for 1Password accounts). That's why what brenty said is accurate and I'm sorry if it came across to you as misleading.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi everyone!

Opening 1Password mini using the Show 1Password mini keyboard shortcut (⌥⌘\ default) and selecting a Login item is essentially the same open and fill mechanism as using 3rd party integration with LaunchBar, Alfred, etc. Here's an example:

• Press ⌥⌘\
    • Enter search text
    • Press down-arrow to navigate to desired item (if multiple items are listed)
    • Press enter to select item (for opening browser tab and filling)

This works for items in any vaults you can access from 1Password mini, including those in 1Password accounts.

I hope that's helpful while awaiting 3rd party integration support for non-Primary vaults, and maybe beyond. :)

[originally posted here]

• jcraycraft
    jcraycraft
    Community Member
    Options

Well sort of. Here's the thing.

1Password creates/updates/maintains the JSON file referenced by the 3rd parties. Once a 1Password licensee/user upgrades the service to Family, and have multiple Vaults it does not continue to produce a JSON file (for the Family Vaults). That is a bug. The business value that was delivered by the feature - "allowing users to call 1Password logins using 3rd Party" no longer exists.

If 1Password chooses to implement a different way of "sharing" the Vault metadata with 3rd parties, of course the 3rd parties will have to adapt to the "new" way 1Password exposes the necessary information.

To say that "we are working with the vendors" is misleading as it deflects the issue at hand. A feature once working is now not working, and further this occurs after a licensee upgrades/spends more dollars. The responsibility should fall directly on the shoulders of 1Password. I just wish there was more accountability here. For the rest of the audience who may not be tech savvy, reading this thread alludes that it is not a 1Password issue, which is absolutely false.

Further, after @sjk shared what the issue is above (paraphrase: only generates from Primary), it is very easy to manually "copy" any Logins from a Family Vault to the Primary Vault, and voila the JSON file is not empty and the 3rd Party works. I just tested this with Alfred. Net-net is that if any other users want this to WORK AS IT DID they can manually copy the Logins with a few clicks from any Family Vault to their Primary Vault and it works.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jcraycraft: It's not a bug. And it's unfair and inaccurate to say this is misleading while ignoring the facts. 1Password Account data is a completely different format than the older "local" database format, and 3rd party apps don't know how to work with the data yet. That's why we're working with them so they can support this in the future. And, as you point out, copying to a local vault works. 3rd party integration depends on both 1Password and 3rd party apps supporting the new data structures, so it isn't as simple as flipping a switch. I'm sorry if my earlier statement was not clear enough.

• jcraycraft
    jcraycraft
    Community Member
    Options

There are so many things wrong with this thread. First, it appears users/customers have been complaining about this since at least May 2016, which is 5 months. Now we have moderators arguing with customers about facts.

I've been in and around software development for 15+ years, and making changes from one version to the next that eliminate feature(s) is a bug. Users care about business value. We don't care why something is not working due to formats changing. We don't care about JSON files.

It's obvious from this thread that many users have been leveraging that feature. It is negligent to change things, and not coordinate those changes in advance, and test with 3rd party (dependencies) to ensure any feature continue. It is definitely not a feature enhancement/request to maintain existing functionality.

I would also recommend that you create a KB article outlining the workarounds and post the link to this thread. That will save people from having to read a novel to get the answers they need and you from having to answer the same question multiple times.

Can I get a refund for the Family upgrade I just purchased?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I apologize for our delayed response here! I see that you emailed us to ask about the refund, and someone from our team has already replied to that (if you didn't receive the email, please make sure you check any junk folders/spam filters to see if it was caught there). We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid creating any confusion between here and there. Thanks! :)

ref: ZFI-73926-814
    ref: OPM-432

This discussion has been closed.