1Password 7 Won’t Update Automatically via Mac App Store

Options
alexclst
alexclst
Community Member

I’ve noticed that every time I try to update 1Password via the Mac App Store it can never quit 1Password completely. The App Store warns me about quitting 1Password, clicking Continue should quit the app (it does with all other apps I install via the store). But it doesn’t. Instead the App Store puts up the dialog again and again. I have to manually go into 1Password Mini and choose to quit 1Password completely before the App Store can update the app. I feel like this is a side-effect of the main Quit option in 1Password 7 is used to quit the app, but not Mini. In order to fix this my guess is that the true system quit needs to quit 1Password completely, and that in the app you do something custom to quit just the app. That way the Mac App Store can fully quit 1Password to update it. But that is just a guess. What I do know is that without the App Store being able to update 1Password automatically a lot of my relatives who use 1Password but aren’t that tech savvy will probably not be able to ever update the app.

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: 10.13.5
Sync Type: 1Password Families

Comments

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @alexclst! Indeed, we're seeing this issue with the Mac App Store pop up here and there. For now you'll have to fully quit 1Password with Command-Control-Option-Q and then do the update—we're looking for a better resolution in the future. :)

• amjbrown
    amjbrown
    Community Member
    Options

Glad AgileBits are aware and addressing. This happened again for the second cycle this morning (on several Macs, grrr!). If you are not a keyboard shortcut whizz, clicking on the 1P icon in the menu bar, logging in (if you haven’t already) and selecting the settings cog gives you a quit 1P completely option.

Biggest issue is it stops a machine updating overnight, and therefore delays you during the day. Uncharacteristically clunky for AgileBits, but I am sure it will be solved soon :)

• Ben
    Options

Indeed, not a great situation, but our develpment team is aware of it and is looking at possible solutions. :)

Ben

• KenCOH
    KenCOH
    Community Member
    Options

It doesn't matter if I quit the application before or not, I still get the same error that it cannot be open during installation and am still on 7.0.1.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@KenCOH: Then you're either not able to quit it completely for some reason on your Mac, or you've got multiple copies hanging around and macOS has another running. Please do the following:

1. Do a Spotlight search for "1Password"
    2. Drag any copies of 1Password to the Trash — DO NOT use a "cleaner" app!
    3. Restart your Mac
    4. Install a fresh copy from our website: https://1password.com/downloads/

Let me know how it goes!

• superpixel
    superpixel
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here.
    The trick with Command-Control-Option-Q is a workaround, but not a solution.
    6 Updates later and this bug still is not fixed – I hope you will find a solution soon.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018
    Options

@superpixel: It's not a trick; it's how you quit 1Password completely. Otherwise any time you closed the window it would be "broken" in your web browser. The App Store should do that when it tries to update any app. We don't have any control over the App Store update process, but we'll continue to look for other workarounds too.

• superpixel
    superpixel
    Community Member
    Options

Dear @brenty, to the regular user it is a trick.

Users quit a their Mac apps by hitting Command-Q (or choose the respective menu entry) and see the icon disapear from the Dock. If I explain to friends and family that they have to quit 1Password differently to be able to update it, they have no understanding for it. And honestly, I don't have either.

Judging from your reply, I'm afraid AgileBits sees this as a trifle and there will never be a real fix. :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Dear @brenty, to the regular user it is a trick. Users quit a their Mac apps by hitting Command-Q (or choose the respective menu entry) and see the icon disapear from the Dock. If I explain to friends and family that they have to quit 1Password differently to be able to update it, they have no understanding for it. And honestly, I don't have either.

@superpixel: Okay, that's fair. You can always install 1Password directly from our website if the App Store update process is causing your grief. Other than that, I'm just not sure what the alternative is. Would you prefer that 1Password not run in the background, and therefore not work in your browser when you close the window?

Judging from your reply, I'm afraid AgileBits sees this as a trifle and there will never be a real fix. :(

We don't have the power to change how the App Store updates any app, even 1Password. But if we can find a way to work around this we will be glad to do so.

• superpixel
    superpixel
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty The Mac App Store updates all my other Apps just fine. It even updated 1Password (before version 7) perfectly while it worked in my Browser too. 🤷‍♂️

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018
    Options

@superpixel: I think I know what you mean then. Indeed, with the App Store, the App Store itself manages updates. While I haven't experienced this issue with 1Password myself, I see it with other apps from time to time and have to attempt to update a few times, usually with quitting them myself first. Not sure why that is necessary sometimes, as it isn't all the time for me, or even the same apps when it does happen. So same here: ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, while we don't have the option with all apps, if it's driving you nuts you can always get 1Password directly from our website. I think we've done a pretty good job on the new updater for that. Cheers! :)

ref: MTG-59775-248

• tnowinowski
    tnowinowski
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty so the question is if you have no control over the Mac app store update process, and it causes a hassle for your customers, why make the app available that way? Those of us that use the option is because it was there and it allows for simple rebuild of computers and automatic updates. Jeez if Microsoft can figure out how to update Onedrive I have no doubt you can figure it out. Saying just delete and download from your site isn't a fix, its a dodge. Work with Apple, fix the issue or remove it from the App store please.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brenty so the question is if you have no control over the Mac app store update process, and it causes a hassle for your customers, why make the app available that way?

@tnowinowski: Good question. The answer, of course, is that many people prefer that for various reasons. It isn't mandatory though, so us offering our software through the Mac App Store doesn't preclude you or anyone else from using the website version instead. If you need help with that, let me know.

Those of us that use the option is because it was there and it allows for simple rebuild of computers and automatic updates. Jeez if Microsoft can figure out how to update Onedrive I have no doubt you can figure it out. Saying just delete and download from your site isn't a fix, its a dodge. Work with Apple, fix the issue or remove it from the App store please.

We can't effect change in the App Store any more than any other 3rd party developer can. Just take a look around the internet. And I don't see how forcing everyone to use the website version would actually benefit anyone: people who chose to use the website version anyway will be unaffected, and those who wanted to use the App Store version will have no choice but switch. If they don't want to, and they don't have to, why should they? How does that affect you?

• @tnowinowski,

The change to address this is coming in 7.2, so the first you'll notice that it does the desired behavior is the update after 7.2.

• sgaurav
    sgaurav
    Community Member
    Options

Even after quitting the 1password application on mac, I found a 1password helper process running which may be preventing the app- store to update 1password. The helper process on my mac is 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword7-helper

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sgaurav: Did you Quit 1Password Completely? You can do that with Control Option Command Q.

• sgaurav
    sgaurav
    Community Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi brenty,

Yes, the application was closed. On some more investigation , I found that I had "checked" the "Preferences -> General->Always keep 1Password mini running " option. This was causing the 1password to always run. Once, I unchecked that option, I was able to install the update.

Thanks,
    Gaurav

• You’ll probably want to leave that checked, but use the instructions Brenty posted to quit 1Password completely before attempting to install an update. We plan to make some changes in v7.2 so that subsequent updates do not require that.

Ben

• jorygun
    jorygun
    Community Member
    Options

1Password on MacOS Mojave still behaves the same. I have to go to the menu bar item (the mini?) and choose Quit Completely before it will update. Only app I own that behaves like that.

• @jorygun,

Yes, if you're just updating to 7.2.1 then its the next update that you will see a different, not the update to 7.2.1.

• jorygun
    jorygun
    Community Member
    Options

👍

• :+1:

Ben

• devilgate
    devilgate
    Community Member
    Options

I'm getting the same problem today, with the latest update.

• Ben
    Options

@devilgate

Please try this: drag 1Password from the Applications folder in Finder to the trash, restart the Mac, and empty the trash. Then install a fresh copy.

Thanks.

Ben

• valebettins
    valebettins
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem with 1password 7 on Mac Catalina. I know that deleting the app and re-install it would work, but, what kind of solution is it?? I just want to update the app!

• I'm sorry for the inconvenience @valebettins. Please try the instructions I posted above, or consider switching to downloading 1Password directly from our website if you're continuing to have issues with the App Store.

Ben

• valebettins
    valebettins
    Community Member
    Options

Cool, I terminated every 1password process with activity monitor and was able to update it properly!

• Great! Glad to hear that worked out for you.

Ben

• loriBear
    loriBear
    Community Member
    Options

I had this problem in the past and then again today. Thank you #vaebettins for the suggestion to go into the Activity Monitor and quit processes there and then do the update. It took several attempts to quit the 1Password Extensions Helper. That was stubborn and wouldn't quit! Very frustrating but eventually worked.

• Ben
    Options

Please see this message for the latest information. We'll keep that post updated if new information becomes available.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.