Prompted to enable 1Password in Safari -- but it's alread enabled

Options
TooSlimSam
TooSlimSam
Community Member

I've been getting an alert every few days on my Mac that encourages me to enable 1Password in Safari:

This is puzzling because the extension is already enabled, and is working just fine, thank you very much. So I've been ignoring these alerts, until I finally became curious enough to post a query here. Does anyone know what's up with this?

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: 7.2.2 from 1Password 7
OS Version: 10.14.1
Sync Type: 1Password account

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TooSlimSam - I'm really sorry to hear that. :( We've actually had a few (though thankfully very few) of these, and the best approach is a closer look at what might be going on with your Mac. To that end, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#CGZ-74881-644]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @TooSlimSam only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: CGZ-74881-644

• kruzer
    kruzer
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,
    I am consistently experiencing this same issue. I'm running 7.2.2 (70202006) on two different Macs running 10.14.2, Safari 12.0.2 (14606.3.4) and am seeing it on both devices.
    It seems to be fairly consistent when I switch back to my user account via fast user switching. I haven't pinpointed other conditions, and that one doesn't cause it 100% of the time but is still frequent.
    Please let me know if you'd like me to send diagnostics.
    Thanks!
    Jeff

• Ben
    Options

Hi Jeff,

We plan to have this fixed up in the next release of 1Password for Mac. It appears we had a bit of a race condition whereby 1Password may have been asking Safari for information it didn't have at the time it was asked, which would cause it to return a false negative of sorts. That then caused this prompt. To avoid that future builds of 1Password will have a 5 second delay built in to this check.

Ben

• kruzer
    kruzer
    Community Member
    Options

Got it — thanks!

• Ben
    Options

No problem. :+1:

Ben

• smg_NZ
    smg_NZ
    Community Member
    Options

I too have this same issue.

Any thoughts on what to do to resolve please???

1Password 7.2.4
    macOS Mojave 10.14.2

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

For the record, I just got this prompt when logging back into my Mac account after having used fast user switching to go to a different account. This is in 1PW 7.2.4

• smg_NZ
    smg_NZ
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, when using fast user switching to log into another account is when the prompt appears for me.

• telUK
    telUK
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty

Might be better to discuss here, my version numbers are:

10.14.2 Mojave
    7.2.4 1P
    Safari 12.0.2 and 1p extension is 7.2.4

And as the above poster says, I was just switching user accounts previously as well, so that looks like the cause it seems.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@smg_NZ - what happens if you restart your Mac when this occurs? Does the problem persist? Immediately or not until later? Or does that solve it for you?

• smg_NZ
    smg_NZ
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars,
    Shutting down or restarting has no effect - the problem reappears when I switch between the two user accounts on on Mac.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@smg_NZ: Just to clarify, you only encounter this issue with Fast User Switching? When running Safari in a single user account, it works as expected?

• smg_NZ
    smg_NZ
    Community Member
    Options

If I completely log out of 1 user, I cannot replicate the issue with the single current user. As soon as 2 users are logged in, with Fast Switching the error happens.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That helps a lot! Thanks for letting us know. We'll see if we can work around the way Safari handles App Extensions when multiple accounts are active. :)

ref: apple-2901

• zimboden
    zimboden
    Community Member
    Options

This problem continues to happen for me, even when I have only one user logged in. MacOS 10.14.3 on Mac Pro Tower (Mid-2012)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @zimboden! I'm sorry for the trouble. Can you share a little more information about your setup and situation with us, so we have a better chance of determining whether this is the same issue or something different? Please tell us:

1. The specific version of 1Password you have installed
    2. The specific version of macOS you're running
    3. The specific version of 1Password extension you have installed
    4. Anything else you think we should know.

Thanks! :)

• cec772
    cec772
    Community Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

FYI: for others who stumble here...
    (except for Zimboden who seems to have it unrelated to fast user switching)

It should be fixed in 7.2.5 according to this link..
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/99770/enable-1password-in-safari-prompt-box

(And for me it does seem to be triggered by fast user switching...)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for chiming in. Glad to hear the update helped! :)

• cec772
    cec772
    Community Member
    Options

It didn’t help yet. 7.2.5 is not released AFAIK.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Possibly 7.2.5 is not yet on the App Store (it takes time for Apple to accept programs) but my version direct from AgileBits gave me a prompt to update.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cec772 - (and @danco) - yes, 7.2.5 is still making its way through the approval process in the Mac App Store. It shouldn't be too much longer, though we never know for sure. Stay tuned. :)

• zimboden
    zimboden
    Community Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

Sorry not to respond sooner. You asked for specifics:
    1Password 7 Version 7.2.4 (70204000)
    Safari Version 12.0.3 (14606.4.5)
    Safari 1Password Extension 7.2.4
    I DO have fast user switching enabled. Work user has the safari extension enabled, but the Nonwork user does not.
    I will log out the other user and wait for a prompt. If I see one, I'll post here.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@zimboden - please update to the most-recent version (7.2.5) as well. I'm...honestly not sure if that's cleared the Mac App Store review process yet, but if not it should be available soon.

• dcblack56
    dcblack56
    Community Member
    Options

This morning I encountered...

Yet it worked for logging in here... ??!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dcblack56 - I'm sorry for the trouble. Looking at your screenshot, though (thanks for that!), I think I can spot the issue: if you'll look at the listed extension in the Safari Extension preference, it's 7.3.BETA-4, but if you look at the version of 1Password for Mac from the "About" dialogue you have open, it's 7.3.BETA-5. That's what's causing the prompt to re-enable -- it sounds as if you've updated to the most-recent beta (or perhaps you had auto-updates turned on), but just need to restart Safari. Let me know if that solves things for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.