Slow launch and unlock times in iOS 9

Options
AGAlumB
AGAlumB
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: 1P 6 won't let me use Touch ID.

Comments

• Dhani
    Dhani
    Community Member
    Options

After I upgraded to iOS 9 the option for setting up Touch ID is gone from 1password. Also there is a very long pause from when I launch the app and it prompts for the password.

• Dhani
    Dhani
    Community Member
    Options

To elaborate, 1password was working fine with touchID before I upgraded to iOS 9.

• BobF4321
    BobF4321
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the exact same problem as Dhani, on iPad Air 2.
    On my iPhone 6 Plus it works fine after the upgrade.
    Note that on the iPad it shows a setting for "PIN Code" instead of "Touch ID".

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If you're having trouble with Touch ID, you may be more or less lucky than I was. I had to set it up from scratch before I could even use it on the lock screen after updating to iOS 9!

You may be able to simply restart the device or re-set Touch ID (turn it off and then back on) to get it working, but there are a few other tips that you can try to get it working. Just follow these steps:

1. Launch Settings on your iOS device
    2. Tap on Touch ID & Passcode
    3. Enter your Passcode or Password
    4. Toggle Touch ID to OFF
    5. Press the Home button to return to the Home screen
    6. Shut down and restart your device
    7. Enter your Passcode or Password at the Lock screen
    8. Launch Settings on your iOS device
    9. Tap on Touch ID & Passcode
    10. Enter your Passcode or Password
    11. Toggle Touch ID to ON

Please let me know how it turns out. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• BobF4321
    BobF4321
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately that procedure didn't work for me on my iPad Air 2.
    And I still have a long startup delay (797 items in my vault).
    FYI, I tried 1Password on a new iPad Mini 4 restored from a backup from an older iPad and TouchID works fine on that one.
    I'll try some more experiments.....

• BobF4321
    BobF4321
    Community Member
    Options

I found a fix... just delete and reinstall the 1Password app. Maybe it was using old 1Password data.
    I still have the long startup delay.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015
    Options

@BobF4321: Thanks for the update! I'm glad to hear that reinstalling helped. I had a few apps myself that wouldn't even launch after upgrading to iOS 9. Other than a few hiccups like that I'm loving it though.

Regarding the 'startup delay', can you be more specific? How long, and is this just on the iPad Air 2? Thanks in advance! :)

• BobF4321
    BobF4321
    Community Member
    Options

I ran a timing test... from launching 1Password to the TouchID prompt was about 13 seconds, and from TouchID recognition to main screen is another 18 seconds. The times were about the same on both iPads. With 1Password 5 the delay was only a few seconds.

• Hi @BobF4321,

That is absolutely not normal. It takes about 2 seconds or less for me from launching 1Password, authenticating with TouchID and then seeing the loaded vault on iPad Air 2.

Do you only see this issue on 1Password, no other apps show the same delay with Touch ID?

Try this:

1. Open 1Password on the iPad Air 2, unlock, and go to Settings > Security and turn off Touch ID.
    2. Reboot the iPad
    3. Try to unlock 1Password, does unlocking with the master password show any delays?
    4. Now, go to Settings > Security, turn Touch ID back on, tap on Lock Now, and try unlocking 1Password, any delays?
  • jacmichel
    jacmichel
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    I confirm I have the same symptoms as @BobF4321 on my iPhone 6+ (long delays, about 30 sec. + no Touch ID, even after reinstalling). Was working fine before upgrade. Also I noticed that long delay causes battery drain. (25% of battery usage just for 1Password in one day).

• jacmichel
    jacmichel
    Community Member
    Options

Same long delays with master password, or PIN. Touch ID not showing even after suggested steps, reboot or reinstall.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015
    Options

@Dhani, @BobF4321, @jacmichel: I'm sorry you're still having trouble with this! I've split this off into a separate discussion since it sounds like this is a separate issue from the original topic of Touch ID not working at all.

I haven't seen other reports of this, so I really appreciate you all bringing this to our attention and being diligent in working with us on this! To that end, if reinstalling the app and resetting Touch ID in iOS has not helped, the best thing to do will be to generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening in your case:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)*

*In 1Password Settings > Advanced > Diagnostics > Log Settings, enable App, Agile Keychain, Cloud Keychain, Crypto, Database, Keychain, Lock, Replicator, SQLite, UI Lock

Once you set up the log settings, send the diagnostics after you encounter the issue again, as this will give us additional information about what's happening. Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• jacmichel
    jacmichel
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    This time, I managed to have the Touch ID setting showing. This is what I did.
    Uninstall, REBOOT, reinstall, had to answer ALL the questions asked again, set the the two Dropbox 1Password files again (two separate safes).

After this, the App crashed three times before asking the Touch ID (12 seconds waiting). Then the main screen appeared after another 18seconds.

I have sent a report at this time:
    Diagnostics Report generated 20 sept. 2015 11:30

Hope you will be able to address these issues
    Thanks

• jacmichel
    jacmichel
    Community Member
    Options

Here is a full crash report (joined text file saved in Dropbox)

• jacmichel
    jacmichel
    Community Member
    Options

1st crash report after reinstall

• kshap
    kshap
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problems with slow-to-launch and flaky program (it sometimes crashes when I try to open it) reported here. I rebooted my phone - no joy. I uninstalled then reinstalled the program - I can log into 1password, eventually, but it takes a long time to be prompted for the password/TouchID and then a long time for the program to open after successful login. I followed your instructions to send you logs after one slow incident. Never had a problem with the program until I installed iOS 9 on my 6+.

• jacmichel
    jacmichel
    Community Member
    Options

Link to diagnostic file

• BobF4321
    BobF4321
    Community Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

I just submitted a diagnostic report.

ref: TVC-12332-973

• BobF4321
    BobF4321
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT,

I tried your test... with master password authentication the vault is shown immediately.
    However, the startup delay until it asks for the password seems to be longer than the startup to TouchID.
    Also, I notice that after the iPad reboot 1Password crashes after a long delay... on the 2nd or 3rd launch it works OK.

• Arnoud
    Arnoud
    Community Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

@brenty It has been reported before (you were even active in the topic); I have exactly the same issue. Doesn't depend on 1P 5 or 6, TouchID, the number of items in the vault or the sync service used: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/233853#Comment_233853

Seems to be related to iOS 9 only.

• jacmichel
    jacmichel
    Community Member
    Options

4 reports sent
    support ID is [#NWY-58331-236]

I share the same problems as @kshap (slow launch + 2-3 crashes before opening).
    All OK in iOS8

Hopefully next iOS9.1 will solve this.

• Kefte
    Kefte
    Community Member
    Options

Same for me : get stuck or pass after 30 or 60 seconds.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015
    Options

I share the same problems as @kshap (slow launch + 2-3 crashes before opening).
    All OK in iOS8
    Hopefully next iOS9.1 will solve this.

@jacmichel: I don't know for certain if this is something that needs to be fixed in 1Password or iOS, but the more data we can gather, the more likely we can find a solution. Thank you! :)

ref: NWY-58331-236

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brenty It has been reported before (you were even active in the topic); I have exactly the same issue. Doesn't depend on 1P 5 or 6, TouchID, the number of items in the vault or the sync service used: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/233853#Comment_233853
    Seems to be related to iOS 9 only.

@Arnoud: Indeed, but at the time you said "sometimes slow"...and of course I wouldn't count you reporting a similar issue in multiple places as multiple reports. :lol:

We're of course much more concerned about consistent speed issues with 1Password 6 on the final iOS 9 release than inconsistent reports with 1Password 5.5 on a prerelease version of an iOS release it wasn't designed for.

I'm sorry if you got the wrong impression, but I'm really glad that you've pursued this so we can get to the bottom of it, especially now that it's clearly still a problem for some people with public versions of 1Password and iOS.

I tried your test... with master password authentication the vault is shown immediately.
    However, the startup delay until it asks for the password seems to be longer than the startup to TouchID.
    Also, I notice that after the iPad reboot 1Password crashes after a long delay... on the 2nd or 3rd launch it works OK.

@BobF4321: That said, I wonder if it's a Touch ID issue. On a more personal note, for some reason I am having a similar problem with a few other apps (oddly not 1Password), so I'll be taking my iPhone 6 in on Saturday to have Apple look at it. On suggestion they gave was doing a factory restore and setting it up as a new device, in case it's a software issue...but I'm really hoping there's another solution. We shall see. :dizzy:

I know you're all here because you're having a problem, and for that I am truly sorry; but I really appreciate everyone's willingness to work with us on this so we can get this resolved. Thanks so much for your patience and diligence!

• Kefte
    Kefte
    Community Member
    Options

No change with the iCloud solution. I can enter but after 20 seconds (with a iPhone 6)

• Arnoud
    Arnoud
    Community Member
    Options

@Arnoud: Indeed, but at the time you said "sometimes slow"...and of course I wouldn't count you reporting a similar issue in multiple places as multiple reports. :lol:

We're of course much more concerned about consistent speed issues with 1Password 6 on the final iOS 9 release than inconsistent reports with 1Password 5.5 on a prerelease version of an iOS release it wasn't designed for.

@brenty: I have no idea where this misunderstanding is coming from. My first post in that thread clearly spoke about 1P 6 on the final iOS 9 release (not prerelease, not 5.5). I just mentioned that 1P 5.5 on the final iOS 9 release also had these issues. I also said more than just "sometimes slow": it was either slow or crashed. I also did not report it in multiple places, only in that single thread.

I posted in this thread to make clear that it's not about a few incidents here and there ("I haven't seen other reports of this"); to make sure AgileBits takes this seriously as basically not being able to access passwords is pretty critical, especially if this happens to more than a few users.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015
    Options

@Kefte: Since you've been able to unlock 1Password, I've moved you to the appropriate thread so we can troubleshoot the problem you're actually having (separate from the "stuck on decrypting" issue).

If you're still having trouble, please send a diagnostics report (in 1Password Settings > Advanced > Diagnostics > Log Settings, enable App, Agile Keychain, Cloud Keychain, Crypto, Database, Keychain, Lock, Replicator, SQLite, UI Lock) and include a link to this forum thread so we can take a look at the logs to understand what's slowing things down for you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @brenty: I have no idea where this misunderstanding is coming from. My first post in that thread clearly spoke about 1P 6 on the final iOS 9 release (not prerelease, not 5.5). I just mentioned that 1P 5.5 on the final iOS 9 release also had these issues.
    @Arnoud: My mistake. You posted in a thread about the iOS 9 GM candidate (and, by extension, 1Password for iOS version 5.5), so I had assumed that was what you were running as well.
    I also said more than just "sometimes slow": it was either slow or crashed. I also did not report it in multiple places, only in that single thread.

I posted in this thread to make clear that it's not about a few incidents here and there ("I haven't seen other reports of this"); to make sure AgileBits takes this seriously as basically not being able to access passwords is pretty critical, especially if this happens to more than a few users.
    That's what I was referring to (in bold). But you're absolutely right. This is a serious issue, regardless of how many people are affected. However, while certainly troubling, I'm not sure that slow launching equates with not being able to access passwords.

That said, if you haven't already done so, sending diagnostics is one thing you can do that may help us identify the problem and get you a solution sooner.
  • Japo
    Japo
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same speed issues upon startup. I've sent diagnostics. Hope those help.

• jacmichel
    jacmichel
    Community Member
    Options

No more crashes since 1Password update 6.01.
    Now remains the slow launch time : 12 seconds to reach Touch ID login and then another 18 seconds to reach main 1Password menu.
    If I switch to another app and come back, 18 sec. waiting.
    Keep on improving if this is not an iOS9 issue
    Thanks for the good work and return.

This discussion has been closed.