Why "Check For Updates" does not work properly [we’re doing a staged rollout of v7.2]

Options
akent35
akent35
Community Member
edited October 2018 in Mac

A couple of weeks ago, I "upgraded" (via purchase) to 1Password V7.1.2 from V6.x, and except for it not filling in passwords "right away" (I already started a thread about that hassle), it works fine. This morning I visited the site www.macupdate.com, and saw that V7.2.1 of 1Password had been released. I then launched 1Password, but when I selected "Check For Updates", it said I was running the current version! How can that be? I subsequently downloaded and installed V7.2.1, and had no issues. But why this discrepancy? Rather disturbing, to say the least!

1Password Version: Now 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018
    Options

@akent35 - the reason you saw no updates for 1Password 7 is because you're still on macOS 10.13.6 (“High Sierra”), when macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) is the current version of macOS. This was intentional; Mojave includes (by default) the brand-new Safari 12, which brings with it substantial changes to extensions. The old-style .safariextz extension format that users used to be able to download from either the Safari Extensions Gallery or directly from developers (and install by double-clicking) has been retired in favor of the newer Safari App Extension (SAE) format. Everyone who's upgraded to Mojave by definition has Safari 12, but on earlier versions of macOS like Sierra and High Sierra, it's an optional download. Which means many users of those older versions of macOS may still be using Safari 11.x either unknowingly or intentionally. The problem is that version 7.2 of 1Password for Mac is the version in which the "switch-over" from the old-style extension to the newer SAE occurs: if you have 7.1.2, you'll be using the older 4.7.3.90 .safariextz version which will work with Safari 11. But the instant you upgrade to 7.2, that no longer works. And if you're still using Safari 11, that would certainly be a blocker: not being able to use the extension at all. So we've slightly delayed rollout of auto-updates for people whose OS versions shows as pre-Mojave. We'll be lifting that delay and rolling out 7.2.x to High Sierra folks either later this week or early next week, assuming things are stable, and probably to Sierra folks the following week.

Oh, and we try to answer posts here in general in the order they're received -- oldest to newest. :) I've already mentioned the above ^^ in several other threads who've also asked about it. Hope that helps! :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@akent35 - if you don't use Safari, then it may not make much difference for you because the "gotcha" doesn't apply in your situation, but Safari is the dominant browser in macOS; most of our users of 1Password for Mac use it within the context of Safari, so that's why we've taken these steps. For the record (and anyone else who's in a similar situation of having manually installed the update to 7.2 directly from the package installer), 7.2.1 (and future updates) should work just fine for you. :)

• Ben
    Options

As Lars mentioned it is working as intended. :)

Ben

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@akent35 - thanks for sharing your perspective...again. I'm going to have to ask you to please keep your thoughts confined to a single thread, when they are on the same overall topic. Posting the same thing in multiple threads violates our forum guidelines, because it forces us to repeat ourselves and coordinate multiple replies amongst multiple team members and thereby increases the support times for everyone else. Please be respectful of other users' time as well as the 1Password team members'. Thanks. For everyone's convenience and ease of reference, I've merged this latest new thread on the topic with an existing one. Thanks! :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@akent35

...you keep closing threads which I have started, but still require further discussion.

And we'll continue to do so, if new threads are opened by the same poster (you or anyone else) on topics identical to ones they've already started, which remain open. Right now, I count no fewer than four threads (including this one) which refer to some variation of this theme: that you are upset about the behavior of Check for Updates. And there would have been five, except I merged the most-recent one into an existing thread. Of those, only two have been closed, but to be clear, any additional threads started on the same topic will be closed also.

The easiest way of all to receive notifications of updates would be to update to the current version of macOS. Absent that, our updates server contains a link to every version ever released, as well as release notes. Feel free to check it as often as you'd like. :)

• rudy
    Options

@akent35,

We are intentionally not making 7.2.1 available via the in-app update to give macOS 10.12 and 10.13 users a chance to update to Safari 12 first. This is entirely intentional and not a defect in the update server code. Manually installing 7.2.1 is perfectly fine and we want new users to absolutely install that version, whether they've moved to Safari 12 or not. That install will trigger them to have to update to Safari 12. What we don't want is every single macOS 10.12 and 10.13 user all getting the update at the same time, most of which have not yet moved to Safari 12. This is entirely meant to spread out the support burden for the CS team as people will invariably write in to us asking why they must move to Safari 12. If they've already moved to Safari 12 then they won't write in to us about it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Updates aren't about "accurate information". Even the OS and App Store updates get a staged rollout. Relax. :)

• Ben
    Options

The updater’s job is to deliver the most appropriate version currently available based on your situation, which is not always going to be the latest build available. In any event, this conversation has run its course. We’re not going to discuss further.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.